SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
8,830 Posts
Re: Performance (ashankar)

For starters, its an I6 not a V6.

Also, don't forget the other half of the equation, the 6 speed tranny.

The I6 will be a success from a marketing standpoint, more hp in a more "normal" engine. Normal from an American standpoint.

Haven't seen perf specs yet, but I have to believe they will be better, maybe not by alot.
Fuel mpg IS supposed to be better!

· Registered
8,830 Posts
Re: Performance (mcbleier14)

Why not?

Simple, outright performance has never been important to the Swedes.
One could argue because performance cars are inherently unsafe.
Not from a crash safety standpoint, but from the standpoin that a performance car is less stable and requires better driving technique than most people have. Volvo's are built for the AVERAGE driver, not the professional.

I disagree w/ Bob about the R though.
I think the dealers were enthusiastic about the car. What dampened enthusiasm was the fact that the car wasn't an M3 clone. For what it is, the R is a fantastic car and a great value. But it wasn't the all conquering vehicle that the enthusiasts were expecting.

The other reason why Volvo isn't following the Germans is price.
Volvo can't make a high performance car that would cost less than the German cars would. Volvo customers haven't shown the willingness to pay top dollar that the bimmer and benz customers show.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.