SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking at the different available upgrades for the new 2019 T6 verison of these cars.

Polestar tune seems a bit pricey at $1300 for a bump to 330hp and 325 torque and other optimizations. If it was $600-$700 it would probably be a no brainer since it doesnt affect original warranty.

Another one i see is Heico Sportiv e.Motion https://www.vivaperformance.com/heico-sportiv-e-motion-volvo-s60-v60-s80-s90-v90-xc60-xc90/ this one ranges from $2,679.99 - $6,199.99 where u get 15-20 hp and 40-50 torque for the base tune or 360hp and 354 torque for the full kit, not sure if those measurement are to wheel hp or just engine output hp.

Any other options out there?

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
Sadly the SPA Volvos are limited to what you see on the vivaperformance website. And everything is priced steep as funk!

Being an Engineer, I'm very impressed with the output the tiny 2.0L engine offers for a T6 model with Polestar and frankly do not expect much more. I'm sure it can put out 400+ horses if need be, but what about real-world reliability and usefulness. Volvo offers a very very good and complete package right from the factory. Of course, it is not made for people who need every single horsepower the engine can give and every single tune the after-market industry can offer, and Volvos have never been in that category. That is monopolized by the German brands where an aftermarket tune can give the 2.0L Golf R engine enough grunt to shame supercars.

Of course, if it were a 3.0L V6 or something of that sort, I would be disappointed with Volvo for having such puny #s, but it's not. I love the fact that I can drive my car very aggressively and it satisfies the petrolhead in me and, at the same time, gives me 31+ MPG on a long road-trip without breaking a sweat. As an industry professional and a lifelong petrolhead, its something I've learned to appreciate and respect.

You can contact Volvo and have them mail you a rebate coupon which will drop the Polestar tune price by a couple of 100 bucks. The best way to get Polestar for cheap is to ask the dealership to install it when taking delivery of the Vehicle. That way, it can be more-or-less baked into the price of the car and does not sting as much.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Guess i'm so used to supercharged american or boosted japanese cars where u can easily throw on a smaller supercharge pulley or control boost better for turbos and throw on a 93 tune to net an easy 40-50+hp and 30-40+ torque for about half the price.

Looks like the T6 supercharger pulley is already small enough so no real benefit messing with the supercharger setup so only thing to really tune is the turbo and ecu.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Sadly the SPA Volvos are limited to what you see on the vivaperformance website. And everything is priced steep as funk!
Stupid expensive. But if we could get a cat delete elbow pipe or a high flow cat, it would free up plenty of response as the new cats on the 2019 are denser than previous T6 models.

The exhaust pipe on the T6R is plenty wide enough, the only two restrictions I see are the cat and muffler.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
Stupid expensive. But if we could get a cat delete elbow pipe or a high flow cat, it would free up plenty of response as the new cats on the 2019 are denser than previous T6 models.

The exhaust pipe on the T6R is plenty wide enough, the only two restrictions I see are the cat and muffler.
The only "in-my-budget" item I see is the Ferrita Exhaust but even that is a cat-back (although a straight-through muffler), so unclear how useful it will be for actual performance gain.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
The Heico products are expensive because they have to meet government requirements and have to be approved after install in Germany. It’s high quality and that really shows in the intercooler they built. Also Volvo performance parts are a very niche market so it’s hard to turn a good profit when in include R&D and build costs.

It’s still a new platform so give it some time. With the duel charging set-up I think an intercooler would be a first stop with a downpipe and exhaust next. As for tuning I haven’t seen anything review wise state side for the Heico emotion box. But I think the polestar tune is the way to go as it does much more now then just deal with upping the power and it’s backed by Volvo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
Volvo dealers routinely run promotions at $995 installed. Or you can residualize in a lease and only pay 1/2 the full cost.
It is definitely worth it and the only "safe" enhancement available for the 2.0L 4 cylinder.

This engine has been out since 2014, so I don't think any options are coming for it, as 330 hp from such a little engine is already pretty amazing.

The Heico tuning is only a little better (like 5 hp) but 3X more expensive.

I agree with the other posters here that the exhaust system is where the gains could be made; Heico does have an option that but I believe it is more cosmetic than power. The Polestar exhaust does already sound very interesting.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Volvo dealers routinely run promotions at $995 installed. Or you can residualize in a lease and only pay 1/2 the full cost.
It is definitely worth it and the only "safe" enhancement available for the 2.0L 4 cylinder.

This engine has been out since 2014, so I don't think any options are coming for it, as 330 hp from such a little engine is already pretty amazing.

I agree with the other posters here that the exhaust system is where the gains could be made; Heico does have an option that but I believe it is more cosmetic than power. The Polestar exhaust does already sound very interesting.
Polestar can only be residualized in the lease if it's installed at the port/factory. Can't be installed at the dealer and be residualized.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I agree with the other posters here that the exhaust system is where the gains could be made; Heico does have an option that but I believe it is more cosmetic than power.
Well now there's alot of little engines making 300 to even 400hp with just a turbo setup. You think with twincharged setup you could massage around 350+hp with little effort. How much boost is the T6 setup supposed to be making?

for the heico setup is that hp to wheels or crank? didnt see much info out there, alot of there older products have dynos to wheels which mean for a full setup you would be near T8 power levels or just the tune would put you near 350hp which is more significant than the polestar tune of course for $1000 more. Breathing mods would seem most important first like, headers, downpipe and then a catback.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Check RICA. They make 360 PS out of T5
They replaced turbo and intake. Only if you won't need warranty anymore I think.
I'm wondering why Volvo don't want to make use of the tuning done on 2018 Polestar car. 360HP seems very sweet for the 2.0L drive-E engine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I'm wondering why Volvo don't want to make use of the tuning done on 2018 Polestar car. 360HP seems very sweet for the 2.0L drive-E engine.
WardsAuto said:
While the double-charged T6 generates maximum boost of 36 psi (2.5 bar), the Polestar version ups that ante 21% to 43.5 psi (3.0 bar).

It also boasts a larger turbocharger, higher-flow intake and exhaust systems, stiffer valve springs, a more aggressive intake cam profile and a higher-pressure fuel pump. “We basically had to change everything in the intake system, from the air filter through all the tubing to the bigger turbo because it had too many flow limitations,” Fries says.
That looks like incredible amount of boost unless the twincharged output is calculated differently. Even the mercedes cla AMG only puts out around 26 psi of boost for 375hp.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Maybe it is marketing math.
Maximum output from supercharger + maximum output from turbocharger = magical number

They never achieve max value at the same time so it is "fake news" ;-)

Just a guess.

Krzyś

·
Registered
914 Posts
Where is that 36psi rating coming from? That seems way high for the output rating from a 2.0 liter, given the power curve.

For comparison, my MR2 turbo, also a 2.0 liter, achieves basically the same peak power with ~18psi.

For the Volvo to be DOUBLE that (all of which would be from the turbo, not the SC), it's crazy that they only achieve ~310hp. And it can't be that they're using a tiny, "baby's first turbo", that has to crank way up to get volume, since they have the SC to cover the lower end lag.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
For comparison, my MR2 turbo, also a 2.0 liter, achieves basically the same peak power with ~18psi.

For the Volvo to be DOUBLE that (all of which would be from the turbo, not the SC), it's crazy that they only achieve ~310hp. And it can't be that they're using a tiny, "baby's first turbo", that has to crank way up to get volume, since they have the SC to cover the lower end lag.
Not a fair comparison. It depends where in the rev-range does that power/torque come in and tat what rpm does it drop off. I remember a certain production version of the Mitsubishi Evo having a 2.0L engine and producing around 400 bhp with just turbocharging. That was a big-a$$ turbo with literally no power till it hit boost and then all hell broke loose. I remember Jezza from Top Gear doing an episode on it!

Power distribution across the rev-range (usability) and the reliability of the Engine takes precedence in such mass-produced cases.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From the "racing" version of 2.0L P* engine, which none of us can get - https://www.wardsauto.com/engines/volvo-s-natural-born-racing-engine. It's like people don't read anymore.

The T6 peaks around 20 PSI.
it appears to be the other way around according to the article

WardsAuto said:
Boasting an eye-popping 184 hp/L, Volvo’s turbocharged and supercharged 4-cyl. Polestar started life as a racing engine before it found its way into family haulers.

Correct us if we’re wrong, but don’t most production-based race engines start life as street engines? Then they are beefed up, tested and developed into high-powered, near-bullet-proof high-revvers by teams of talented racing engineers.

That is the usual process, but Volvo reversed it with its potent 2.0L Polestar engine.

·
Registered
914 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts

Not a fair comparison. It depends where in the rev-range does that power/torque come in and tat what rpm does it drop off. I remember a certain production version of the Mitsubishi Evo having a 2.0L engine and producing around 400 bhp with just turbocharging. That was a big-a$$ turbo with literally no power till it hit boost and then all hell broke loose. I remember Jezza from Top Gear doing an episode on it!

Power distribution across the rev-range (usability) and the reliability of the Engine takes precedence in such mass-produced cases.
We're talking about peak hp numbers, so where that happens is less relevant.

That equally sized motors put out approximately the same power, but one requires 18psi and another 36psi, seems like an unbelievable difference.

The entire reason for twin charging is so you can have the SC bring on boost/power lower in the range, which then allows for a larger turbo that works more efficiently higher up in the power range.

The only way it's double the pressure, to fill the same combustion volume, for the same power out put is if the inlet piping and valves are tiny, and you need high pressure to move an equal amount of volume through a smaller space.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts