SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a first time Volvo owner, having picked up a used 2011 XC90 AWD 3.2. I really love the vehicle, but am having trouble locating "legit" performance upgrades for this model. I am used to owning domestic brands like Chevy and Ford and being able to pick up cold air intakes, computer chips, and exhaust fairly easy. I am wondering what you have done to yours for performance upgrades, and where to find such items. thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Hi guy,

Seriously, this is an interesting thought, but the 3.2 is so technically advanced and programmed, with one bank of valves being vario-cammed to use a Porsche term, that it would be tough to find additional power or torque of any kind without spending a ton of money. Even then, if you did you would be venturing onto thin ice..........and you would have to live with the results of your own engineering. A nice stainless steel free flow exhaust system would cost you around $800 to $1000 and that would probably be the lowest hanging fruit for the bucks, it would be there all the time, would never break down or cause any running issues. I can not think of anything else that would fall into that category of simplicity and reliability.

Totally FORGET the cold air box or K&N filter thing, it is a total waste of time and money.

There are cars that can be hot rodded without spending a bunch of money, but those days are gone with the XC90 of any model, make, or engine size. Naturally you can make a 2.5 have 400-horsepower if you apply enough cash, but for how long?

best,

P

As a comparison here is my latest performance upgrade of an old American V8, this one happens to be a 1966 Ford 427 soon to be installed in a sport boat, getting its first test run a few days ago on a garden hose. The intake, carb, marine headers, and the single wire DUI distributor cost less than just about anything I can imagine that would make a real difference on something as complex as a 3.2 DOHC fuel injected vario-cammed, 4-valve aluminum hemi sitting transversely in a tight engine compartment. Working on the old stuff is easy (and cheap) by comparison. If you want to hot rod something, look elsewhere than a XC90, that's my advice for the day and it is worth every cent you paid for it :)

·
Registered
668 Posts
^^^^^ What He Said! If you really want to dump money then you may find a firm willing to take the car and put a turbo on it rebuild the tranny etc. But you are talking a bout loosing the car for 6 months and then having to deal with a one off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts