SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the most performance oriented springs?

I have the eibachs now, I like the feel and think its a huge gain over stock, but I want stiffer springs. Whats the next step up, aside from coilovers?

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Re: Performance Springs (zerocover)

I really like my blue evolve ones. They do harshen up the ride a bit but I think it is worth the better cornering and handling. I think they also give a little more of a drop than the other options. Heico springs are probably really nice, don't know of anyone who is running them, but Joseignaciopr or whatever his user name is has a set he was thinking of selling...

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Re: Performance Springs (carreragt7)

Have you considered pairing your springs with some stiffer struts? (ie: Bilstein or Koni) I think you might find that will improve your handling/overall feel by quite a bit!

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Re: Performance Springs (max power)

IMO, springs are for nothing but looks. We own two S40s, one with the stock dynamic sport suspension, and mine, with lowering springs. Driving both back to back, the first with all season tires, and mine with sticky summer tires, I feel the first is quicker in some cases on the streets at least. On a smooth track, things might change, but still, if anything, the car handles worse with springs in most situations, though it feels nice being all tight and precise.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Performance Springs (sanatarium)

Quote, originally posted by sanatarium »
IMO, springs are for nothing but looks. We own two S40s, one with the stock dynamic sport suspension, and mine, with lowering springs. Driving both back to back, the first with all season tires, and mine with sticky summer tires, I feel the first is quicker in some cases on the streets at least. On a smooth track, things might change, but still, if anything, the car handles worse with springs in most situations, though it feels nice being all tight and precise.

Interesting you bring up the sport suspension. The struts are the same only the springs and sway bars are changed over the base model.

No one here has actual spring rates for these things do they? I estimate that the eibachs are about 40% stiffer then stock. So while they do change the characteristics I feel I could stand to loose some over all body roll. (its much less I just want more)

Quote, originally posted by Moofluffen »
Have you considered pairing your springs with some stiffer struts? (ie: Bilstein or Koni) I think you might find that will improve your handling/overall feel by quite a bit!

Better struts only make the car feel more planted. The springs actually hold the car up and determine body roll so unless the cars bouncing out of a turn it will preform similarly with and without aftermarket struts, asside from the whole mental thing

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Re: Performance Springs (zerocover)

Better struts only make the car feel more planted. The springs actually hold the car up and determine body roll so unless the cars bouncing out of a turn it will preform similarly with and without aftermarket struts, asside from the whole mental thing[/QUOTE]

I was assuming that the OP was looking for that 'mental thing' or effect you speak of. Obviously performance is not going to be maximized with any spring/strut combination. At least new struts will make it feel more solid!

That being said, I run coilovers in all my cars so I'll keep my negative spring opinions to myself lol.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Re: Performance Springs (Moofluffen)

If the aftermarket springs were matched to the struts choosen and they were damper adjustable then a spring/strut combo can be rather beneficial. Like mentioned the spring itself defines a lot of how the car handles. The shock is only to reduce the rebound effect that the spring creates when compressed which is natural.

I prefer coilovers when building a track tuned vehicle however a simple spring install with the right research can produce positive results. The difference is whether you drive your car to the point of where the stiffer rate, lower center of gravity, and changed vehicle characteristics are even noticable.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lowering the center of gravity 2% doesnt really change things its all about the stiffer springs reducing body roll and making the suspension more responsive to its surroundings.

I will go with shocks sooner or later, for quick turns and transient situations stiff struts cannot be beat, as the stiffness of the strut acts like a spring preventing roll. But for sweepers only springs and sway bars can help.

I'll prob go with a set of konis myself. But I really need spring rate data, to determine optimal damping to tune the frequency of the suspension. If tokiko made a set for us thats where I would be but they dont

That being said stiffer springs = more good. If the struts are matched to the springs the ride quality will not suffer and a performance benefit can be picked up. However springs make a bigger difference then struts.

Coilovers are not really that usefull, adjustable struts are pointless when your only going to adjust them once to where they work the best, why not just buy struts that are at that level all the time. Adjustable ride height is also a waste when you can just get springs that put the car at the height you want.
One of the best handeling cars I have ever been in was a mazdaspeed protege with eibachs and tokiko blues. Although coilovers are fun to play with

1 - 11 of 11 Posts