SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and have been looking for some posts on performance upgrades for the T6 engine. I have found some options online but doesn't seem like there have been many discussions about really turning up the boost. Curious if anyone has any experience with some of these tunes I would be interested to hear about it.

I came across this turbo upgrade from viva and wondered what kind of power could be had from this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems like an intake and exhaust plus a tune would yield some substantial power gains with little work. The p* tune won’t take advantage of the additional parts.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think hoonk's point is that a factory-authorized software-only tune can get a 285HP engine up to 310HP. More for later models of course. First off, shame on them for not "giving" us those numbers and holding it back, but i see the marketing reason - 285 is plenty fast. But secondly, the polestar tune is expensive but is less than you would spend on parts and third-party software What kind of numbers were you hoping to pull? Because a cost/HP/time/tinker/headache ratio might make the polestar option look good (?).

Seems like an intake and exhaust plus a tune would yield some substantial power gains with little work. The p* tune won’t take advantage of the additional parts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct me if I am wrong but the T6 RD does 325hp stock?

You are right the one thing I had in the back of my mind was the headache ratio of tuning but it seems like with an intake and exhaust somewhere near 375hp would be reasonable. Although if that is pushing the engine too hard then I guess the p* tune might make sense.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Depends on the year, it's something like
09-10 got 285 hp
11+ got 300 hp
13+ RD got 325

I'm probably wrong but it's something like this

I don't intend to do much else regarding performance hardware upgrades, but if P* was on sale for me for $600, I'd grab it, but I can't rationalize $1200

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a 2012 RD and it's 325 HP advertised.

This engine from Ford is actually pretty stout from the factory from Wales. I have heard of power losses here after modifying intakes, downpipes and exhaust.

That's probably why the aftermarket rarely quote any gains.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you look at the 2016 Polestar S60 and V60 which are tuned versions of the S60 and V60 by Polestar Racing and use the 3.0L engine, you will see that the HP to 345 HP SAE compared to 300 HP in standard trim or 325 HP in the R Design. Torque increased to 369 lb-ft compared to 320 lb-ft normally or 350 lb-ft in the R Design.

To get this extra 45 HP and 49 lb-ft of torque over the stock 3.0L engine only took:

Larger twin-scroll Borg Warner turbo with 1.2 bar (17.4 lbs) max boost
New intercooler
2.5” stainless full-flow exhaust system with twin 3.5” tail pipes
Reprogrammed engine management
I seriously doubt that Polestar would have spent all the time and money to make all those modifications to the 3.0L engine if a couple aftermarket bolt-ons would do the same thing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the do88 intercooler, the Ferrita downpipe and a custom tune that takes advantage of these upgrades. The power increase is very noticeable (+40 bhp and +50 nm). I would not change the intake. The stock set-up works fine.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Great discussion. Thanks for the feedback
So my XC60 is pretty well modded, and there is always more that is on the way. The whole list is in in my signature. I have a 2010 Volvo XC60 T6, with the B6304T2 engine, which came stock with 285hp and 295ft/lbs, I have never had the Polestar software tune. Now I have never had my engine dyno-ed, and I truly have no idea how much power it makes to the crank or puts down to the wheels. My car can and has beat many 2013+ Volvo, (not the true true Polestar ones), but it has even beat Polestar tuned Volvos.

I have read on here that performance mods don't do a lot to the T6 and even decrease the performance without a tune. Now this isn't exactly true, one of the things you have to make sure when you are modding, is that your car is always in tip top shape to make all its power. You also have to let the car get used to modifications before you can truly say if they make a difference. For example: When you install a downpipe, and you go ripping on it right away, the car may not feel that much quicker, and thats because the car has to change certain values and its reading new data, and has to make things work with that data. In general rule of thumb, stock cars ECU are designed to accomodate for 25% of data change to play around with. Now if you get a tune, all these values, and data can pretty much be changed to 100%, but that's not how that works.

Now if you are looking to get serious with modding your car, the brands I would highly recommend are: Elevate VOLVO, KT4 Performance, Do88, Snabb, IPD, Powerflex, and Hilton Tuning.
If you are just looking for a small jump in performance, maybe just get the Polestar tune OR Hilton Stage 1, with an intercooler and maybe even a downpipe.

·
Registered
97 Posts
jonnyd330 - I went into an actual Volvo dealer to get a part, and was shooting the poop with a super friendly guy on their team for at least 20 minutes. He informed me of two things...

1: They are reducing the hourly rates for "legacy"volvos (over 10 years old).

2: He quoted me a Polestar tune that would very very seriously make me consider doing that option when I have some play money. He quoted a significant reduction in price from what I know the standard cost is. I can't tell you the price for fear of me getting somebody in trouble, but it is now a serious consideration because of that.

So the point is... go into a local Volvo place, shoot the sh!t with somebody that has pull in the shop or parts, be nice, and you might be able to pull a "man, I reeeeeaaallly wanna polestar my car but having a hard time justifying the price", and see how much he can move for you. See what he comes back with. They are paying their guys to be there anyway, and they might be able to slip a car in because it's more a soft cost.

I'd be interested to know what an aftermarket/aftertheline Polestar does for the 0-60 times. Mine does 6.6 (which is the fastest car I've owned (and I've had a few cars), is plenty quick BUT would love real use-case perspectives and numbers. And if guzzles gas worse than now, that might be a consideration against it ;-)

·
Registered
828 Posts
I played with mine a bit, Both the the XC and P*. Big diff on the XC was I put my stock P* intercooler on it. Behind the stock one was full of road crap. So cleaning that(and tossed crash bar that sits on front of it) , P* intercooler and 94 gas(usually use 91) went from 14.5 to 13.9. Downpipe wont give u any gain, unless you go with a Hilton tune, and even then a small gain. If not factory P tune, then there is that too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts