SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys can any one help me out please. im trying to work out what the best exhaust if that i can put on the stock 850 that will keep the noise under 92 DB at 2500rpm. I also want to do a few mods to the chip to pick up the performance without changing the stock chip because we get defected if we change parts on our cars to high performance ones on our p plates over in australia.

thanks any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Don't know about exhaust sound levels.

As far as a chip goes, screw it. Go buy an ARD tune (http://www.ardtuning.com/1994-1997_c_13.html) and pay extra to keep your stock ecu. Or pick up another stock ecu from the junkyard. They are "plug and play", and you can just put in the old tune when you get it inspected or whatever.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Wait a minute - what 850 do you have? Those tunes are only available for cars with a turbo. You got one?

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Wait a minute - what 850 do you have? Those tunes are only available for cars with a turbo. You got one?
Lucky will also do custom tunes.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Just an FYI; '97 was the first year that the GLT had a turbo. All previous GLT's were NA's.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
How low do you want to go?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have mowed through many different combinations of exhaust to try to find the best note and at the same time control the drone. The idea here is to have your car quiet most of the time but let it breath and be throaty when you open it up. Well to achieve that you have to slow down the exhaust at lower RPMS and speed it up at higher RPMS. What I ended up is with a Dynomax Vt muffler in the suit case location and a Magnaflow at the tip. The Dynomax VT has a flap inside of it that makes your exhaust quiet and DRONE FREE. When I get on it the flap opens and my car sings. You have to put the Dynomax in the suitcase are because you can hear the flap opening if you put it at the tip. Just trust me on that one.

Dynomax VT

Here are some of my tone tests with different brands of mufflers.

Flowmaster

Dynomax muffler, not the VT

What I ended up with.

Magnaflow

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
word of advice: get a proper coilover kit. original dampers have often been around for the better part lf two decades, shortening the stroke is basically begging for leaks, trust me on that one. besides, a coiloverkit, and not neccesarily a KW V3, wont run you that much, over here its about double what a proper set of lowering springs cost, and you get dampers to match and control the new height.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok ill make sure i do that then. thanks

next subject how do we turn traction control off? i dont have a button anywhere on the dash someone told me theres a fuse you can take out but which one?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts