SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm currently in the market for a 3'' DP for my 05' V70R. I know a lot of folks run the OBX but I've been unable to track one down. I cant fully justify paying $600+ for an IPD, Mototec, FERRITA Etc. Any leads on a quality and economical option? I'll go with the more expensive DP's if I have to, I know they're well made.

I'm also curious about the Evolve air intake. Would I need a FMIC in order to run this or any other "open" air intake system? I've read other threads about running open air boxes, or "hot air intakes" as some wold call them and the effect on the turbo without an FMIC. Also, whats the difference between one of these "advanced air management systems, and just removing the top of the stock airbox?

I've combed the forums and google but have not found a specific answer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for your input.

-MPL

·
Registered
386 Posts
OBX is pretty much out of existence. There is a mild steel option on ebay I think that is like $125. I anticipate it rusting out after one winter.

Looks is pretty much the only difference between the Air Management Systems and opening the box. (some say the AMS will seal against the hood, but I personally have my doubts). Without an FMIC, when you run the open air box you get increased noise and decreased performance.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OBX is pretty much out of existence. There is a mild steel option on ebay I think that is like $125. I anticipate it rusting out after one winter.

Looks is pretty much the only difference between the Air Management Systems and opening the box. (some say the AMS will seal against the hood, but I personally have my doubts). Without an FMIC, when you run the open air box you get increased noise and decreased performance.
Thanks for responding. I saw the other flat black DP on Ebay for super cheap, but I was worried I might run into issues with it. I might have to be a guinea pig and see how it goes. I wonder if an R Kelly CAI or two while running an open airbox set up would improve these issues? I know the real answer is to just get an FMIC, but that will have to come a little further down the line.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have the black mild-steel inatalled on mine. Been two months now and works great and as it should. Also, I wa surprised that the O2 sensor didn't throw any codes despite not having a bung extension...maybe 1/2 inch if even...
We'll see what happen ince winter comes along

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the black mild-steel inatalled on mine. Been two months now and works great and as it should. Also, I wa surprised that the O2 sensor didn't throw any codes despite not having a bung extension...maybe 1/2 inch if even...
We'll see what happen ince winter comes along

I was worried about the O2. I might just have to order it and give it a go.

Thanks

·
Registered
268 Posts
Same here. On my other R I had another downpipe (can't remember the brand). It's been in for 5 years and going strong...obviously rust but that's a given. But all downpipes I've seen and installed required O2 spacers...not this one.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Same here. On my other R I had another downpipe (can't remember the brand). It's been in for 5 years and going strong...obviously rust but that's a given. But all downpipes I've seen and installed required O2 spacers...not this one.

Ha, just looked at Ebay and they're gone. Grrrrr.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Man that sucks...
Two weeks ago there were obx and maximizer (mild-steel) pipes galore...

·
Registered
293 Posts
buy one from phuzzymotorsports.com 450 bucks with no cat

·
Registered
535 Posts
I've installed one of the flat black down pipes and exhaust on an XC70, the fitment was great for the price. The flange where the downpipe bolts to the turbo was a little thinner than the stock downpipe so I just added a washer to each stud before putting the nuts on to hold the downpipe to the turbo. Even on a low boost XC70 the turbo spools about 700 rpm sooner now.

I wouldn't hesitate to install one of the cheap down pipes on my V70R, but I would DEFINITELY take the time to sand blast it and have it either ceramic coated or high temp painted so it wouldn't rust.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts