SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Just bought a 850R Wagon 1996. As soon as it came off the truck I took it out for a 500 mile spin. The tank was empty so I stuck 87 grade unleaded (that may have been a mistake) but I could feel the power kick in, it felt good and string. When the tank got down below quarter I topped it up with 92 grade. Now I noticed it has bogged down. The turbo boost guage just bearly gets into the solid white zone. Which is the right grade of gas, or has something else happened. Any help appreciated. Does anyone know the scale for this boost guage, I cant believe in a performance car they did not include numbering on this

·
Registered
136 Posts
The R variant prefers what we call super unleaded, which is 95 octane or above.

When you put in low-octane petrol, the ECU will have reprogrammed itself to cope, which is why the performance has dropped.

A couple of tanksful of premium and things should return to normal - give it a damn good run with the high-octane petrol too, to clear all the crud out of the valves.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found the problem, Something which I find real strange but the battery was on its way out. On the weekend I couldnt start the car, changed the battery, and whammo, full turbo boost and the radio worked a lot better. the wonders of technology

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same problem with my '93 850 GLT. It seems that the 850 won't start unless the battery is either fully charged or very close to it. This can be a problem with all the gadets in the 850... leave one on for an extended time and chances are the car won't start when you come back to the car. Go over your car and doublecheck all light switches and anything else to be sure nothing is left on. The glove box, trunk light, and rear seat cabin lights are big culprits.
Secondly oftentimes the car still won't start even with jumpercables if the battery is drained enough.
A last note... www.alloemvolvoparts.com is an excellent site for just about volvo part you would need, and definately ALOT cheaper than any volvo dealership or most parts dealerships. They have free shipping for orders over $50.00.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts