SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With regard to my 2008 V70, I see these guys making some dubious claims - http://www.gfchips.com/volvov70.aspx

Of course, the unstated answer as to exactly how much HP, torque and gas mileage improvement one will actually obtain - is so vague and sales BS based, the generalization, "Results will vary by driver, fuel, terrain, wind speed, etc." is a likely response to an email inquiry I just sent them.

Anyone out there mess around with these things and if so, what was the result?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I wondered about that site.

It looks like they fiddle with the intake air temperature readings to trick the ECU. Air density (number of O2 molecules per cubic-whatever) varies by temperature.

For the S60 they don't even differentiate between the T5/T6 engines.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you suggesting it is NOT possible to get 40 MPG and 400HP out of a 3.2 six with a hopped up chipset?

Next thing you'll be saying is that there is no Tooth Fairy! OMG :)-o)

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
WOW $69.00 and I went and spent hundreds more for an upgrade at IPD. :) But then I did get a couple stickers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As anyone familiar with engines knows, changing how much fuel is going into the engine is easy, getting more air in is hard. A chip that fools the ecu to think that the air is colder (or hotter, but all of these 'chips' make the iat sensor read colder, so more fuel is injected because the ecu thinks the air is denser than it actually is) cannot possibly add any power, let alone the huge claims these companies make. By their logic, we should all just install 1600cc injectors and 4 bar fuel pumps, and we'd all have 700 hp cars. Of course that's not how it works, and so a chip that does not cause any additional air into the engine, but adds more fuel, cannot add any power. In fact, these chips often cause power loss, as the mixture is too rich, and reduces fuel economy. Modern ecu's are pretty smart, and they know how much fuel to mix with incoming air to get an efficient burn in the combustion chamber. Giving that ecu bad data from a chip that alters one of its critical sensors is not how you make power. You make more power by increasing airflow and then mixing that air with the correct amount of fuel.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
As anyone familiar with engines knows, changing how much fuel is going into the engine is easy, getting more air in is hard. A chip that fools the ecu to think that the air is colder (or hotter, but all of these 'chips' make the iat sensor read colder, so more fuel is injected because the ecu thinks the air is denser than it actually is) cannot possibly add any power, let alone the huge claims these companies make. By their logic, we should all just install 1600cc injectors and 4 bar fuel pumps, and we'd all have 700 hp cars. Of course that's not how it works, and so a chip that does not cause any additional air into the engine, but adds more fuel, cannot add any power. In fact, these chips often cause power loss, as the mixture is too rich, and reduces fuel economy. Modern ecu's are pretty smart, and they know how much fuel to mix with incoming air to get an efficient burn in the combustion chamber. Giving that ecu bad data from a chip that alters one of its critical sensors is not how you make power. You make more power by increasing airflow and then mixing that air with the correct amount of fuel.
Well said.

You can also end up damaging some components of the engine with these chips, often if you run rich for too long you'll end up clogging your catalytic converter.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It's fairly well documented that their "chip" is just a 20 cent resistor and a scam. They must move a ton of them though, I see an ad for them no less than ten times a day.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
It may very well be. But their advertisements keep appearing on the main SS page.
Their ads pop up on every automotive forum out there, along with every search engine and any other place where ads are shown. If I were to guess, they're getting tens of millions of impressions per day, maybe even more than that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts