SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after upgrading all of my suspension I am starting to look at new brake options.
I found a seller who is selling these Wilwood calipers for a good deal and was wondering what I would need in order to install them. Currently have stock 16in wheels.. New wheels? Different Rotors?
http://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/CaliperProd.aspx?itemno=120-3031-FS
Thanks!

·
Registered
216 Posts
It takes a 13" rotor....so yes, new rotors, to say the least. And pads. And yes you will need new wheels, maybe even 18", plus new tires, plus a lot of mounting hardware I am not qualified to know much about. You'll probably also need a bigger master cylinder, DOT 4 fluid, uprated brake lines.....it's going to be a project. Prepare to spend some money.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
Justin has installed Wildwood BBK's on Gen 1's. Ask him.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
In reference to the above post, Justin's username is "Chilled Man"

Fitting those will not be easy. You'll need 17" or 18" wheels, depending on the spoke profile and the wheel's offset. You'll also need new larger rotors, longer brake lines, and have custom adapters machined to mount the Wilwood caliper to the stock spindle. As with any brake upgrade, you'll need a couple quarts of brake fluid and new pads too. No one makes an upgraded master cylinder for these cars, so if you want to go that route, you'll need some custom fab done to use one.

The easiest big brake upgrade would be a kit such as the IPD Porsche BBK or the Viva Performance Stoptech BBK

If you want a quick and easy brake upgrade, you can opt for the 00 R's 302mm rotors, which re-use the stock calipers and pads, but have a larger rotor for better heat dissipation. There are a few different places to buy the upgrade kits, but here it is at IPD

Also, if you don't mind a bit of DIY work, there's the P1 320mm brake upgrade

Here's a comparison picture of the 320mm P1 caliper+rotor next to our stock 280mm setup

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
There is also a 320mm front brake upgrade from Volvo but they no longer sell it as a kit (haven't for years) but I believe that the individual components are still available. You need to use 17" rims for the Volvo brake upgrade...not sure if anyone on here has the part numbers for everything individually.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys.. Greatly Appreciated!
I PMed Chilled Man to see if he can give me some insight on how much $ and PIA the process would be.

Andy Thanks for the comparison pics if the BBK seems to not be worth it I will definitely look into the 320mm upgrade.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
I already have the brackets for the 302mm but I'm totally going to snag the V50 calipers and 320 rotors and build a bracket at some point for my C70. The stock rotors look hilarious in 18" pegasus, especially because the rears are larger, only due to the parking brake. My problem is that the brakes work fantastic, so it's really only a cosmetic issue that makes me want to upgrade, and that usually ended up being a $1000+ cosmetic upgrade that I just can't stomach.

·
Registered
216 Posts
When I needed new rotors I plumped for the 302's and SS lines. It made a tangible difference in pedal modulation and in what I will call "bite". Still not the massive stopper that the wife's Clubman S is, but a definite improvement.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
How difficult is it to upgrade to 04+ S60R/V70R front and rear calipers on a 98R? Do you run into a lot of the same problems or are the mounting aspects similar?

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
You can't mount the fronts from an R on the P80 chassis, the bolt holes are too close for an adapter. The consensus is that you'd have to cut away parts of the knuckle which would make it unsafe. The most common BBK for P80 cars is the Porsche big red calipers which bolt up with a simple adapter. You use the S60R rotors for that. There are also wilwood and stoptech kits. R rears will bolt on with a simple adapter.

I have R calipers and spare P80 spindles in my garage and it looks like it would be possible to adapt them for a 14" rotor, rather than the 13". But at that point it's going so custom that it's still easier to do the Porsche conversion or the V50 brakes outlined in this thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts