SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a S40 T5 2006 and the car doesn’t runs great at all. It seem that there is a problem with the fuel system. I have multiple misfired cylinders (cylinder 2 and 3) and I have the 0089 code for the fuel pressure regulator. The problem appeared very gradually since the last 4 month.

I changed both ignition coils (2 and 3) but it didn't made any difference. I then changed the fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail and didn't made any difference.

When I measure the fuel pressure in the fuel rail, I get 42 psi (290Kpa) (I use a relative gauge).

My question is: Is it sure that it is the fuel pump assembly that need to be changed or is there something else that I missed?

Thank you in advance

Antoine

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Do you still have a misfire after changing out the coil packs? Were you able to confirm that the coil packs were bad and not just the wiring? Did you re gap or replace the plugs at that time?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the misfire are still there after changing coils packs and the 5 plugs have been changed for new ones.

How do I test the coil packs to see if they arebad or not?

Thank you for your help

Antoine

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
If cylinder 2 and 3 are detecting the misfire, try moving them to cylinders 1 and 5 and clear the codes. If the misfire comes back to cylinders 1 and 5, faulty coil packs, but if it stays with cylinders 2 and 3, could be wiring or injectors.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
If the cylinders are next to each other I would do a compression test to make sure the head gasket isn't leaking between the 2.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just throwing this in to "muddy the waters."

I had a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt that had given me a #2 cylinder misfire code. After changing coils, plugs, intake system cleaned, etc. and still having the same misfire I ended up taking it to a dealer. They found that the #2 cylinder exhaust valve spring had broken. After this was fixed - all good.

Could something similar be the case for you? Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
I agree with Ou2mame, if you've changed the coil packs and plugs and double checked the wiring is good to go (especially that it's clean and there's no water in the connector), I would check the compression for a leak between the 2.

Check your rail pressure if you have access to a datalogger. I saw 42psi at idle but it went up to 47-49 while driving, and had variations of .5psi at steady RPMs on a relatively flat road. - I don't see how this would cause a misfire on only 2 and 3 unless there is a pressure spike/drop and those cylinders are on their intake stroke at that time and got too much/too little fuel because injector pulse width didn't account for the different pressures before the fuel pump caught up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts