SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What have been your symptoms? I am currently having a issues with my R stuttering and dieing or not even starting. Checked all the charge pipes and cleaned the MAF. There is no CEL or any other codes to be read by VIDA.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
What is your MAF reading at idle (fully warmed up) in VIDA? Also, what is the value of the MAF correction factor in VIDA?

How common/reproducible is the stuttering that you're experiencing? If it happens almost all of the time, you could try unplugging the MAF sensor to see if that "fixes" the problem. If it runs smoothly with the MAF unplugged, that would suggest it is an MAF issue.

Cheers,

Jeff

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is your MAF reading at idle (fully warmed up) in VIDA? Also, what is the value of the MAF correction factor in VIDA?

How common/reproducible is the stuttering that you're experiencing? If it happens almost all of the time, you could try unplugging the MAF sensor to see if that "fixes" the problem. If it runs smoothly with the MAF unplugged, that would suggest it is an MAF issue.

Cheers,

Jeff
I went to an Indy shop for the reading, so I can't hook it up right now. Going to buy DiCE. The problem is very random and there is nothing that I can tell it associates with. I have new plugs, coils, fuel filter, fuel pump and air filter. Haven't done the FPS because that would for sure pop some code. Wish I could give you more info. Is there a way to check the voltage with a VOM?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Also check for a vacuum leak. see if the shop can run a smoke test and see if it comes up with anything. When I had a vacuum leak I had most of those symptoms and no CEL and it turned out to be a leak. Check out all your lines coming into the TCV for splits/cracks/holes and maybe think about replacing them with all new silicone hose if they are the original hoses.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just drove around town and on the freeway with the MAF unplugged. When I got off the freeway the car died and I got two pending codes, P0102 (MAF signal too low....expected) and P0088 (Fuel Pressure signal too high). Could that mean my FPS needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also check for a vacuum leak. see if the shop can run a smoke test and see if it comes up with anything. When I had a vacuum leak I had most of those symptoms and no CEL and it turned out to be a leak. Check out all your lines coming into the TCV for splits/cracks/holes and maybe think about replacing them with all new silicone hose if they are the original hoses.
Could this just be the TCV too? I have the gen 1 IPD TCV. Might just go to stock too see.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Yea it could very well be the TCV. Put the stock one back on and reset the ECU and drive it around for a bit and see what happens. the FPS code could just be a fluke cause the MAF was unplugged and skewing the A/F ratio.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
When my MAF sensor failed, it felt as if there was no boost, i.e., felt like a normally aspirated 5-cylinder. No guts.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The tcv would not cause a stalling issue it does not cause enough vacuum or boost to cause a stall

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
So, does anyone think it's the FPS?

If you only got that CEL when you unplugged the MAF I wouldn't say it was the FPS. Plug the MAF back up and clear the ECU and see if that code pops up again. I got 2-3 codes when my FPS failed. Replaced the FPS, no codes since. If you wanna try replacing it and seeing if that helps go ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
My initial guess would be FPS. The TNN for the FPS defect on the 04 R notes that the defect "may" cause a CEL; i.e. it will not necessarily cause a code/CEL.

Do you have a scangauge II (for some reason I was under the impression that you do)? If so, when you've had stuttering/stalling have you noticed what the fuel pressure readings from the scangauge are?

Another possibility would be corrosion/water intrusion into the PEM (pump electronic module), which is located just in front of the rear passenger side wheel well.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My initial guess would be FPS. The TNN for the FPS defect on the 04 R notes that the defect "may" cause a CEL; i.e. it will not necessarily cause a code/CEL.

Do you have a scangauge II (for some reason I was under the impression that you do)? If so, when you've had stuttering/stalling have you noticed what the fuel pressure readings from the scangauge are?

Another possibility would be corrosion/water intrusion into the PEM (pump electronic module), which is located just in front of the rear passenger side wheel well.
Yes, I have the scan gauge. The fuel pressure shoots to 110 when it happens. The FPS and PEM are what I had narrowed it down to. Might just have to bite the bullet and buy both. Read on another forum that someones PEM was grounding out due to dirt or something and cleaning it or replacing it worked; can't remember exactly what it was or the forum.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Feeling more like it's the PEM. When I removed the fuel filter last week I didn't get sprayed in the face like I had previously.

·
Registered
351 Posts
CEL gave me code P2187 "system too lean at idle speeds" this weekend. Is this a MAF problem? Volvo replaced the MAF a couple months ago when I had a CEL.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CEL gave me code P2187 "system too lean at idle speeds" this weekend. Is this a MAF problem? Volvo replaced the MAF a couple months ago when I had a CEL.
Seems like that would be the MAF.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Going to order the Land Rover LR015294 FPS today. Hopefully this solves my issue. My car died on the freeway last night. Luckily I have a MT and could start it while rolling.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Luckily I have a MT and could start it while rolling.
You mean you restarted in neutral on the roll? GT's have neutral too....:D
Good luck with the FPS - let us know how it goes.:thumbup:

Decided to add:

You know, this is a really dangerous way to troubleshoot. I was on a long drive home from out East when mine went out, Stalled on the freeway, in the rain, overtaking a truck. I mentioned to you the other day that when the dealer changed out my FPS, Corey at Fisher stated, "that they just hooked the car up to the computer and it pointed right at the FPS".

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You mean you restarted in neutral on the roll? GT's have neutral too....:D
Good luck with the FPS - let us know how it goes.:thumbup:

Decided to add:

You know, this is a really dangerous way to troubleshoot. I was on a long drive home from out East when mine went out, Stalled on the freeway, in the rain, overtaking a truck. I mentioned to you the other day that when the dealer changed out my FPS, Corey at Fisher stated, "that they just hooked the car up to the computer and it pointed right at the FPS".
Lol, but the AT probably doesn't engage as smoothly on a roll. I had to do it in my old AT 240 DL and it wasn't pleasant. Nothing pointed to the FPS when I had my codes read. There really were no codes. Soup said in q previous post that on the 04s may not pop a code for a FPS.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts