SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As a few of you know PDV is in the final stages of bringing an upgraded collar gear to market for M66 (6 speed manual) transmission R's. NO this collar gear will not work with your 04-05 or 06-07 Automatic transmission R.

As a disclaimer I am in no way affiliated with PDV or any other company that manufactures/sells aftermarket parts for our R's.

Material: Heat treated and nitride coated 4340 steel
Includes: All OEM Volvo seals needed when replacing a collar gear

The first impression when looking at the collar gear in person is WOW! It looks very well machined, no visible imperfections in the teeth and no tiny metal shavings anywhere to be seen. So far so good, absolutely no complaints at this point.

First unboxing:

Inside view:

Teeth view:

Side view:

Unfortunately I can not install this bad boy just yet as I am a few days away from going on a two week vacation. The install will happen during the first few weeks of January and I will keep you all up to date on the fitment and durability of the collar gear, as well as note any flaws or issues I experience.

REMINDER: This is NOT a finished product, I am a test subject beta testing a current-design PDV High Strength Collar Gear, the design of the collar gear can and may be changed if issues are encountered.

Another Reminder: I am in no way affiliated with PDV and the production of these collar gears. I gain nothing at all if you buy them in the future. I will attempt to keep this review as impartial as I possibly can.

Look forward to seeing updates in the future!

Stefan

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't wait for the actual review Stefan.. Is this safer than the welded angle gear?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
That's a heated subject Al, as far as I know all of the guys who have welded up their angle gear seem pretty happy about their decision. But personally I'd prefer to opt for a much stronger collar gear. In my opinion I'd rather just swap in a new collar gear than drill holes and weld, which personally I believe could lead to failures over time as the collar gear (being weak already) would possibly become unbalanced and lead to stress cracking under long term use and repeated heavy load.

Nothing I've stated is proof that anything of the sort can happen, it hasn't happened in the past, but that certainly doesn't mean it couldn't happen in the future.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As far as I know the collar gears for automatic R's aren't on the table at the moment, if there is enough demand I'd imagine PDV would put them into production though.

I believe the price will be somewhere around $300 for this kit, including all the seals necessary. I don't work for PDV though and am just a beta tester so I can't say for sure.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I thought the point was that most Auto trans cars don't kill collar gears the way M/T cars do?

How many on here have had to replace one beacuse it actually failed on them?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought the point was that most Auto trans cars don't kill collar gears the way M/T cars do?

How many on here have had to replace one beacuse it actually failed on them?
This is partially correct, as 06-07 automatic R's received a stronger collar gear with a larger diameter and thus more teeth. Yet 04-05 automatic R's still have a very weak collar gear similar to all manual transmission R's. I've known several members who have 04-05 automatic R's that have had their collar gear fail on them.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Interested in this... glad to see someone finally address this weak point. Now question is if this is stronger, what is the next weakest link?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interested in this... glad to see someone finally address this weak point. Now question is if this is stronger, what is the next weakest link?
Good question, so far the collar gear was by far the weakest link in our AWD system. Our angle gears can (reportedly) reliably handle around 500bhp, their main weakpoint being the seals can go bad easily and leak out all the fluid. The transmission output shaft and angle gear input shaft are very hard, so they're unlikely to fail unless you run a stripped collar gear for a long time (can eat away at the teeth on the input shaft). After that you're looking at the driveshaft, of which I've seen and heard of a few failures, the rear diff, which supposedly can handle a decent amount of power as long as the fluid and filter are maintained (replaced). The main issue with the rear diff (so I've heard) is overheating, I've only experienced it once and that was while doing donuts for over half an hour in the snow! Then comes the axles, and if you look at the thickness of the rear axles you'll see that they don't look very stout...

I'm not an expert in our AWD systems, but that's my take on things. If I've said anything wrong feel free to correct me, and of course feel free to add on whatever else you know about our AWD strengths and weaknesses!

Stefan

·
Administrator
55,950 Posts
Thinly disguised commercial/publicity post? PDV (or you) should contact [email protected] or perhaps ViVA or IPD to resell a product being developed.

Please follow the forum user agreement.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thinly disguised commercial/publicity post? PDV (or you) should contact [email protected] or perhaps ViVA or IPD to resell a product being developed.

Please follow the forum user agreement.

I've stated before I'm not a part of PDV, I didn't help develop this collar gear, I only offered to test it out and write a review. I receive nothing from PDV in any way.

This is and will continue to be as unbiased of a review as I can possibly make. I have some concerns about the PDV collar gear as well, which I will be happy to voice if anyone wants to hear.

Please don't jump to conclusions Chris, I don't know how I can prove that I'm not associated with PDV but if you would like something from me please let me know.

Stefan

·
Administrator
55,950 Posts
I have some concerns about the PDV collar gear as well, which I will be happy to voice if anyone wants to hear.
Absolutely - that's what unbias is all about.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Oooh man..don't want IPD to resell it. I'll have to sell my car to afford it.....wait a second...

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Absolutely - that's what unbias is all about.
My concerns are as follows, in order of greatest to least:

-Long term effects on the transmission output shaft and angle gear input shaft: if there is enough slack/sloppy fit on the collar gear there could be some serious damage to the transmission output shaft or angle gear input shaft. This is exaggerated because the high strength collar gear is much stronger than an OEM collar gear, and over time the constant meshing of collar gear's teeth under heavy load could possibly strip the shafts.

-Fitment: I believe the OEM collar gear has somewhat sloppy fitment, and is epoxied in place to the transmission at the factory by Volvo. If the fitment is too tight then it won't fit at all on either shaft.

-Removal: Since this collar gear is much stronger than an OEM collar gear many people might find it hard if not impossible to remove it from the transmission output shaft after an extended period of time, and since it will be very difficult to drill a hole in this collar gear to grab onto it with a puller these collar gears may have to be cut off of the transmission output shaft.

-Resistance to the elements: So far I have no idea how well this collar gear will hold up to the elements, will it rust within a few years and moisture cycles? I don't know.

There are always risks when testing new products. I am offering up my drivetrain to potentially eliminate one of the largest problems with our AWD system.

Like I said before, I gain nothing from these collar gears, I only wish to test it out and write a non-biased (as possible) review so that if/when this product hits the market the R forum members will have a good idea of the benefits and risks of this collar gear.

Stefan

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.