SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can't figure out where this noise is coming from. I noticed that there was some oil inside the timing belt plastic casing. I never spilled oil by the filler, and it looked like it was coming from a cam bearing. That's why I started digging into the timing belt housing again.

Here is a video of the noise. It definitely sounds like it is coming from the belt side of the engine. I'm starting to think that it is crank case gases that have to build up before the noise starts. Does this sound like a bad PCV.

·
Registered
2007 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
71 Posts
I had the exact same issue a month ago, it ended up being the PCV. Sorry bro. Replacing it was tough (for someone with limits experience like myself), but if you're bold enough to do it, you can replace it yourself with about $300 and a few hours. I followed the instructions on this forum. Best of luck!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
How many miles on the car? Has it ever been done? ... Def sounds like the PCV is clogged.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
If you cracked the oil cap and there is a huge rush of air and the squeal stops, oil separator. It's very common.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
what happens when you pull the oil dipstick?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree with Brown.Slightly pull out the dipstick,it should stop.The cost to repair on my C30 was $550 total(parts/labor) at AutoMedic in Tupelo,MS.

Powered by 5 mad Vikings

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you are interested in getting more experience with working on these cars this is a great starter project. Very simple and accessible.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the info! The noise still exists when I open either the oil filler or the dipstick. Since the noise didn't go away when doing that, I questioned if it was the PCV. I've found a few videos online with people who have the exact same noise.

I'm not concerned with the difficulty of repair. I changed the timing belt on it in the spring, and that was by far the most difficult so far.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
So maybe not the PCV then... what do you think it is? or what are other people with the same noise saying?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
This is not specific to the S40, this is what I'd do if it were my vehicle.

Try squirting some water from a squirt bottle onto the accessory belt to see if it stops, if it does, then it's the accessory belt.

If that causes no change, you can remove the belt spin each pulley to see which if any makes noise or feels like it isn't a smooth rotation.

If no noise is present, it may be the harmonic balancer or the timing belt tensioner pulley. The harmonic balancer should feel like one solid pulley with no play in it. if there is any movement with the accessory belt off then it's your problem (try not to move the crank). To check the timing belt tensioner, you'll have to remove the timing belt (mark the positions of the pulleys except the tensioner) and spin the tensioner to check for smoothness or noise.

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
834 Posts
This sounds like a PCV with blown cam seals... need to replace the flame trap, the hose, and the cam seals....

My car did not stop sqealing when I pulled the dipstick, and it only decreased a little if I opened the cap, but it was the PCV.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for everyone's help! I went out yesterday and tried opening the oil cap myself (my brother did it before). To my surprise the noise went away thankfully. I think he didn't realize how far you have to unscrew the cap before the seal is broken and it allows gases to come out. I feel stupid because I'm pretty sure I tried that myself months ago. :/

I'll shoot a new video of how the Squeal goes away when I open the oil filler/dipstick. That way anyone else who has this problem will have a reference.

Anyhow, I think I'm gonna be ordering a new oil filter assembly next. Does anyone know a good place to get a new one? Is there a new design? I saw that this unit is somehow under extend warranty, how does that work?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I had my PCV replaced under the extended warranty maybe 3 months ago. There's a recall letter floating around here someone posted- check the DIY sticky. I suspect your car as an '06 may not be eligible anymore. Service advisor said my '07 was nearing the end of the warranty period.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Thanks for everyone's help! I went out yesterday and tried opening the oil cap myself (my brother did it before). To my surprise the noise went away thankfully. I think he didn't realize how far you have to unscrew the cap before the seal is broken and it allows gases to come out. I feel stupid because I'm pretty sure I tried that myself months ago. :/

I'll shoot a new video of how the Squeal goes away when I open the oil filler/dipstick. That way anyone else who has this problem will have a reference.

Anyhow, I think I'm gonna be ordering a new oil filter assembly next. Does anyone know a good place to get a new one? Is there a new design? I saw that this unit is somehow under extend warranty, how does that work?
10 years 120k. Make sure you replace the hose as well. Any housing you you buy will be the new style. Genuine Here.

Housing 31338685 (should come with seals to block)
Hose 8670008 (for the S4 motor which you probably have) 31251213 (for the S7)
Clamp 976561

·
Registered
538 Posts
Yup.

Flametrap aka PCV

For my '06 V50 T5 AWD, it was replaced free by the dealership under warranty in 2012. I had about 78K miles on it at the time.

Get it replaced right away or else you'll be doing harm to your seals whenever you drive it.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
That sound is air being sucked through the cam and crank seals, aka a major leak waiting to happen.

Installing the PCV housing is not exactly the easiest job, but not hard either. Take a Saturday morning and you can knock it out with hand tools and a floor jack. yes, I said floor jack. You'll need to get the weight off the engine mounts so you can unbolt the passenger side mount and push the engine backwards. Yes I said push the engine. It'll give you the extra 1-3" you need to get the airbox out and easily work on the pcv.

Here's a little tip I didn't know beforehand - the PCV housing I got from Lisle Volvo (a bit cheaper than Tasca) DID NOT have the bolt mounts threaded. Yes, I had to tap and thread the housing to accept important things like the dipstick tube and electrical lines and vacuum lines (as I recall). So look for that because you don't want to assume that your Volvo supplied housing is ready for install and then find out after you already installed it... because that sucks (I know). :facepalm:

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Here's a little tip I didn't know beforehand - the PCV housing I got from Lisle Volvo (a bit cheaper than Tasca) DID NOT have the bolt mounts threaded. Yes, I had to tap and thread the housing to accept important things like the dipstick tube and electrical lines and vacuum lines (as I recall).
The OEM Volvo part is the same. You don't really need to drill&tap the hole, it's alloy and the bolt self-taps into it. With care. ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts