SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

I recently installed a new breather box along with all the related hoses. I'm having some trouble with the coolant hose and banjo bolts. I was originally going to replace only the PCV banjo fitting like many have done, but I went ahead and ordered the whole assembly from IPD because the kit ended up being cheaper. I can't for the life of me figure out how to hook up the banjo bolt on the side of the head while keeping the washers on the bolt! There are so many wires and hoses in the way, I gained a little bit of clearance by removing the lower rad hose, but it is still a pain. The banjo on the intake is just as much of a PITA, any advice for that one? I gained a little bit of space by removing the fan w/ shroud, lets me get a normal sized wrench in there. Yay for convolution!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Use extensions and wobble sockets. Helped me immensely. That’s the hardest bolt I’ve put in my life - passenger side that links like 4 rubber pipes on one fitting. Getting it off took me even longer lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think for the banjo bolt on the underside of the intake manifold, I had to thread that before I attached some of the hoses leading off it.

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
Depending on the year the replacement kit may be too long. My failproof way is to drop the alternator (easy and fast) for good reassembly access to the manifold banjo bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I thread the manifold bolt with the manifold itself off the block and resting on a box or empty oil jugs or whatever is around the garage.

·
Registered
63 Posts
One tip I've read about to keep the washers in place is to use an o-ring to hold them in place until the banjo bolt is just threaded on then rip the o-ring off of the bolt. I suppose you could also use a length of thin bare wire to wrap around a thread or two and leave a length of the wire so you can grab it and pull the wire off after the banjo bolt is threaded on. I also recommend just doing the extra work to remove the alternator if you can't get the banjo bolt underneath the manifold threaded on.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Job done! Picked up some stubby snap on wrenches

·
Registered
22 Posts
This was a massive pain for me as well until I figured out a good technique.

As for the banjo bolt on the drivers side (for USDM) head as the OP mentioned, the technique I used was to remove all of the ignition coil wires and move them out of the way, and to hold all of the lines leading to thae banjo bolt basically on top of, and behind, the engine. Once that banjo bolt is tightened, the lines can easily be folded over, back to the front of the motor, where they should be. This makes getting to that banjo bolt a BREEZE. Worth noting of course, that this bolt has to be done before the banjo bolt to the manifold. I would know, as the kit I got had this banjo fitting backwards, meaning as soon as I poured in coolant it ended up all over my garage floor. And then I had to do it again once I realized I used the wrong banjo bolt... as there are 2 different ones to deal with.

For the banjo on the manifold, the best technique I had was to tighten the banjo bolt onto the manifold BEFORE bolting the manifold to the head, before attaching the remaining rubber lines onto the new oil trap box, the coolant line etc. Once that banjo bolt was tightened, the rubber lines can be placed on the oil trap and all clamps can be tightened fairly easily.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This was a massive pain for me as well until I figured out a good technique.

As for the banjo bolt on the drivers side (for USDM) head as the OP mentioned, the technique I used was to remove all of the ignition coil wires and move them out of the way, and to hold all of the lines leading to thae banjo bolt basically on top of, and behind, the engine. Once that banjo bolt is tightened, the lines can easily be folded over, back to the front of the motor, where they should be. This makes getting to that banjo bolt a BREEZE. Worth noting of course, that this bolt has to be done before the banjo bolt to the manifold. I would know, as the kit I got had this banjo fitting backwards, meaning as soon as I poured in coolant it ended up all over my garage floor. And then I had to do it again once I realized I used the wrong banjo bolt... as there are 2 different ones to deal with.

For the banjo on the manifold, the best technique I had was to tighten the banjo bolt onto the manifold BEFORE bolting the manifold to the head, before attaching the remaining rubber lines onto the new oil trap box, the coolant line etc. Once that banjo bolt was tightened, the rubber lines can be placed on the oil trap and all clamps can be tightened fairly easily.
My kit has the new 19mm banjo bolt for the side of the head, two washers on either side of the bolt and it's leaking pretty badly. Tightening too far will warp the washers. What did you do to get it fixed and stop leaking?

·
Registered
22 Posts
That took me a while to figure out... Turns out the banjo fitting is NOT symmetrical. There is a side with a wider diameter than the other. The wider side needs to be against the block, and the narrower side has the banjo bolt tightened against it. With the narrower side against the block, the banjo fitting actually bends towards the block as well. With the banjo fitting the correct direction, fitting it to the engine is a breeze :) The kit I bought had the fitting pointed the wrong direction!

·
Registered
170 Posts
just did pcv this weekend my banjo bolt was also angled in wrong direction caught it while comparing new part to old after removal, always a good practice.

clipped of the oetiker clamp pulled it off and install new clamp then crimped in correct orientation. no biggie but keep an eye out. i bought ipd's kit and everything was was high quality and had volvo stickers except the coolant hose. it was a high quality piece, just no blue label. no knocks at all with the kit great parts.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just did pcv this weekend my banjo bolt was also angled in wrong direction caught it while comparing new part to old after removal, always a good practice.

clipped of the oetiker clamp pulled it off and install new clamp then crimped in correct orientation. no biggie but keep an eye out. i bought ipd's kit and everything was was high quality and had volvo stickers except the coolant hose. it was a high quality piece, just no blue label. no knocks at all with the kit great parts.
Bought the same kit! Must be a manufacturing oversight, I just took a look and can confirm mine is the same. Unfortunately I stripped the threads in the head trying to get the damn thing to seal correctly... time to spend a weekend re threading that!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts