SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13,976 Posts
For me, I went OEM, and bought from FCP Euro, since their lifetime warranty will replace it in the future for the cost of shipping.
Yeah, you're already saving a few hundred by doing it yourself, just go with the genuine article!

·
Registered
503 Posts
The T6 oil trap is quite a bit more spendy than the NA 3.2L, IIRC. The 3.2L was only like $100 from Volvo when I did the XC90.

-Ryan

·
Registered
804 Posts
The T6 oil trap is quite a bit more spendy than the NA 3.2L, IIRC. The 3.2L was only like $100 from Volvo when I did the XC90.

-Ryan
The oil traps in the 3.0L turbo and the 3.2L NA are different oil traps. The reason why one different is because the turbo one contain more baffles.

·
Registered
250 Posts
By just replacing the Diaphram, you are just covering up the problem. Always replace the entire assembly. The reason that the diaphram rips in the first place, is because the oil trap itself has become clogged up and the increased pressure causes the diaphram to rip. By replacing just the diaphram, you still have all that pressure so it is going to rip again. By replacing the entire oil trap, you are decreasing that pressure because tall the baffles and passages within the oil trap are brand new and clog free.
Sorry for the delayed response but I wanted to thank you for the information. Spot on. But in my case I replaced the diaphragm simply as PM as the car had over 70,000 miles and is 10 years old. I was having no symptoms of a PCV related problem. I just figured for less than $30 and about 15 minutes why not change it? The original diaphragm was not torn or damaged in any way. But for some reason after changing it I had nothing but problems with the PCV. The only explanation that I can think of is the diaphragm just didn't/wouldn't seat properly even after multiple tries. So I just got done replacing the entire assembly with OEM. I am a firm believer in PM but for me this was certainly a classic case of "if it is not broken, don't fix it"!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts