SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Replaced the PCV oil trap yesterday. It's fairly easy, but a little bit of a stretch to lean over the engine and work blindly behind the cover. It turns out the diaphragm fails which causes a chirping squeaking sound that can be heard at idle.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yea, I did mine last month. It was fairly easy, but I have a ton of socket sets and I had to hook up a couple of wobble extensions to get to the back bolts. One is almost a blind feel to find it...

I was going to ask if it was worth cleaning the top of the cylinder head where the trap mounts. Mine was covered in oil and varnish which I assume is the point, basically acting as a "catch can". I keep my engine bay spotless and my OCD is nagging me to go back in and clean it up. Does anyone know if it matters?

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Yea, I did mine last month. It was fairly easy, but I have a ton of socket sets and I had to hook up a couple of wobble extensions to get to the back bolts. One is almost a blind feel to find it...

I was going to ask if it was worth cleaning the top of the cylinder head where the trap mounts. Mine was covered in oil and varnish which I assume is the point, basically acting as a "catch can". I keep my engine bay spotless and my OCD is nagging me to go back in and clean it up. Does anyone know if it matters?
You just need to clean the mating surface for the gasket. The rest is pointless to clean. Oil is supposed to be in there.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Which models have this configuration?

·
Registered
8 Posts
You just need to clean the mating surface for the gasket. The rest is pointless to clean. Oil is supposed to be in there.
Thanks, that is what I did, but a part of me really wanted to clean that trap completely, just because I couldn't stand it... Figured it was pointless though as it is an "oil trap".

·
Registered
151 Posts
Diaphragm

Too bad you cannot just buy the diaphragm
I did find the Diaphragm on Ebay but it is no good unless you can buy the cap with it. I could not remove my fragile, heat soaked plastic cap without breaking the slots that lock in and I tried to be careful.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I did find the Diaphragm on Ebay but it is no good unless you can buy the cap with it. I could not remove my fragile, heat soaked plastic cap without breaking the slots that lock in and I tried to be careful.
Yeah, I can see that happening, although you would think there would be a way to get it to stay on. Don't believe I understand the purpose of the Diaphragm. It seems a part that is designed to fail sooner or later.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The chirping sound mine made (only at 1500-2000 rpms) sounded just like a belt idler or tensioner starting to go.

BTW, the way to diagnose this PCV Oil Trap failure is, while it is chirping or screeching, open the oil filler cap. If the sound stops, then this verifies
the Oil Trap is failing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts