SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the threads, but I just wanted thoughts from the SS gurus (I am but a grasshopper).

I have fairly good suction at idle at the oil filler cap and no whistling noise. PCV system has been replaced previously, but I have no idea how long ago - probably years. Oil consumption seems a bit high, maybe 1.5-2liters every 5k miles.

I'm in the process of returning the vehicle to stage 0. Along those lines I replaced the (most likely) original FPS to clean up acceleration and I (naturally) tested it out doing a full throttle pull to about 100mph. When I got home, I found a bit of oil (a tablespoon?) had by-passed the oil filler cap and sprayed onto the timing belt cover and I notice fresh oil from around the oil filter housing where it mounts onto the block.

I'm guessing that the system is partially blocked and at high RPM / boost conditions the suction converts to blow, but I don't know for sure. I'm guessing this all points to a PCV needing to be replaced - thoughts?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
If it leaked near the belt, it could be the O-Ring on the filler cap, or a leaky camshaft seal.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've read the threads, but I just wanted thoughts from the SS gurus (I am but a grasshopper).

I have fairly good suction at idle at the oil filler cap and no whistling noise. PCV system has been replaced previously, but I have no idea how long ago - probably years. Oil consumption seems a bit high, maybe 1.5-2liters every 5k miles.

I'm in the process of returning the vehicle to stage 0. Along those lines I replaced the (most likely) original FPS to clean up acceleration and I (naturally) tested it out doing a full throttle pull to about 100mph. When I got home, I found a bit of oil (a tablespoon?) had by-passed the oil filler cap and sprayed onto the timing belt cover and I notice fresh oil from around the oil filter housing where it mounts onto the block.

I'm guessing that the system is partially blocked and at high RPM / boost conditions the suction converts to blow, but I don't know for sure. I'm guessing this all points to a PCV needing to be replaced - thoughts?
this could be the PCV, when mine needed to be replaced I heard a pressure sound coming from the engine block, you can hear it mostly when you turn the car off and it decompresses. The dealer checked it by turning the car on and then pulling the oil dip stick out just enough to break the seal. If the sound goes away when the dip stick isn't in all the away its most likely the PCV.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay guys (gals?), no sound while idling, good suction at the oil filler cap, but there may be some whining sound while engine is revved. Hard to tell if it's pcv symptoms or turbo whine.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Okay guys (gals?), no sound while idling, good suction at the oil filler cap, but there may be some whining sound while engine is revved. Hard to tell if it's pcv symptoms or turbo whine.
Turbo whine? Psh. Just get a 2.4i and that'll take care of that issue for you!!

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I :facepalm: meant quarts, not liters. Still, I think that's a fair amount of oil and also makes me think the PCV system isn't working appropriately. I have no doubt that the previous owner didn't use full synthetic oil - the PO was a kooky old lady who thought she knew about cars.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I :facepalm: meant quarts, not liters. Still, I think that's a fair amount of oil and also makes me think the PCV system isn't working appropriately. I have no doubt that the previous owner didn't use full synthetic oil - the PO was a kooky old lady who thought she knew about cars.
It's not that big of a face palm! 1.057Q to a L lol

But that is a decent amount.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I suppose it could be blow-by, but unlikely; it's not valve guides, the cyclinder head was rebuilt; the only conclusion that seems reasonable is the PCV system. Then again, maybe it's turbo related?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts