SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking off that banjo bolt under the manifold I broke the (infamous) hard line.
Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part

Has anybody successfully replaced this section with something else? Or is this XC90/S80 part still the best answer?

Tool Tool accessory

The banjo bolt was clogged, but other items are checking out clean.
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I used the S80 part. Otherwise, it's replace the entire set of lines.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I snapped the new one I had purchased and was successful in cutting off the broken bit and dipping the remaining piece in boiling water to soften it up so that I could slip it back over the serrated edge. It took a few tries but it worked. Put some Teflon/silicon lube on the make end too.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good thinking! Yeah it does look like a heat shrink on that end.

I snapped the new one I had purchased and was successful in cutting off the broken bit and dipping the remaining piece in boiling water to soften it up so that I could slip it back over the serrated edge. It took a few tries but it worked. Put some Teflon/silicon lube on the make end too.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. Going to go ahead and get that part and whatever else I need. Need to flush the coolant anyway. I think the PO mixed Volvo fluid with basic and it is kinda clumpy.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Like others I seemed to have a clear path through the oil separator box and it had no accumulation of oil. Taking it off though revealed it would not have been long until it was completely plugged.
This is a car 118k miles on it and serviced at the dealer every 7500 until 60k miles. Carfax has a gap until 83k, then every 7500 until I got it.

The Box
Auto part Fuel line Vehicle Engine Tire

Drain to the oil pan. Luckily the path to the oil pan is clear
Auto part Gear Automotive wheel system Wheel Rim

The upper not bad at all.
Auto part Metal

Still in the landmine of ordering clamps and such. So many diagrams that say they fit my 2005, but they don't look right. When I find a diagram that looks right like this one:
Auto part Line art Text Automotive engine part Diagram
and try to verify the oetiker clamps by cross referencing them with FCP, they will state it doesn't fit my car! Each of my original clamps are stamped with the pre-crimped size in mm. Why can't the factory or vendors list that or show it in the photo right next to the Volvo part number?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Many people replace that with a silicone hose for a few dollars.

Installation trick: attched the banjo bolt first, once the I.M. is in place, then install the hose on the oil trap.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Like others I seemed to have a clear path through the oil separator box and it had no accumulation of oil. Taking it off though revealed it would not have been long until it was completely plugged.
This is a car 118k miles on it and serviced at the dealer every 7500 until 60k miles. Carfax has a gap until 83k, then every 7500 until I got it.

The Box
View attachment 52235

Drain to the oil pan. Luckily the path to the oil pan is clear
View attachment 52237

The upper not bad at all.
View attachment 52239

Still in the landmine of ordering clamps and such. So many diagrams that say they fit my 2005, but they don't look right. When I find a diagram that looks right like this one:
View attachment 52241
and try to verify the oetiker clamps by cross referencing them with FCP, they will state it doesn't fit my car! Each of my original clamps are stamped with the pre-crimped size in mm. Why can't the factory or vendors list that or show it in the photo right next to the Volvo part number?
I agree about the oetiker clamp hassle. And since I am anal,I won't use plain hose clamps. Thanks for the tip on the pre-crimped stamp on them though. I never thought to look.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally got some time to go back to this project. Took me a while to re-organize my bolts and find the breather box bolt that fell on the floor! ;-)
Found it easier to install the throttle body after the intake and banjo bolt so I could get a wrench on the banjo.
To document for future searchers here are the parts and clamps with mm size I used for this 2005 S60 AWD.

Clamps (mm)
-Box
--upper: 976561(25.6) & existing worm clamp for hose to top of motor(maybe previously replaced)
--Rubber elbow: 978180(34.6) and 978188(48.5)
-Banjo Nipple
--rubber hoses : 978170(17) two
-- small plastic line: 978401(12.3)
-Intake Manifold top hose: 978170(17)
- PTC (by Turbo) : 976561(25.6)

-Box Coupler: 8653339
-Banjo Nipple: 30731007
-TB gasket: 31430474
-Injector O-rings: 30731375 (5 needed, 2 in each pkg)

978171 is 18.5 (mis-order)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts