SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am halfway into a PCV filter job and there is a ton of oil in the intake (turbo/intercooler/TB), is this normal?

I purchased a cheap PCV kit so I didn't get the coolant line so I am just going to clean it.

Also lot of oil on the top of the valve cover, is this normal for a bad PCV or is that something else?

And does anyone know the size of the vacuum lines used in this engine that attach to the intake manifold? Large and medium ones.

Here are some pics of the process:

Oil Buildup on Turbo inlet:

Oil Buildup on Valve Cover:

Overview of PCV system:

·
Registered
123 Posts
How many miles on your car?

I'm going to replace my PCV this fall, and debating on whether to clean or replace the coolant line.

·
Premium Member
3,743 Posts
There will be oil in the intake. How much is normal, I can't really say.

Oil on the valve cover can also come from the oil filler cap seal being ****ty, OR from the valve cover seals that go around each spark plug socket.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Looks like quite a bit, consider replacing the O-ring on the charge pipe, and replace the o-ring on the oil cap too. I would get some gunk engine gel and spray the **** out of everything.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
BTW you should join our group, Envolved midwest volvos. Find us on facebook.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Could be being blown out of the PCV into the intake tube for the turbo, or the turbo seals are going. Perhaps a little of both.

As long as the plugs don't fowl and you don't consume more than a quart every few thousand miles its acceptable.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like quite a bit, consider replacing the O-ring on the charge pipe, and replace the o-ring on the oil cap too. I would get some gunk engine gel and spray the **** out of everything.
I did clean and spray the **** out of everything haha

What is the charge pipe? Where is this o-ring?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could be being blown out of the PCV into the intake tube for the turbo, or the turbo seals are going. Perhaps a little of both.

As long as the plugs don't fowl and you don't consume more than a quart every few thousand miles its acceptable.
That was my guess... (blown from PTC into intake) just seemed like a lot

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also is there any way, and should I, clean the inside of the intercooler/piping? Lots of oil there too.

My thoughts were a de-greaser in one side, shop vac on the other???

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So in my process to do the PCV I came across what I believe to either be a faulty Snabb intake or an incorrectly installed Snabb intake... It was severely kinked by the turbo... Is this installed poorly or a defect?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I did clean and spray the **** out of everything haha

What is the charge pipe? Where is this o-ring?
Always make sure that the bottom drain hole for the oil trap is clear. I like to use shop air and blow through it to make sure it is not clogged. I've had some so severely clogged that even after removing the oil pan, the passage which runs down into the pan and then back up, was so bad I had to replace the oil pan in order for the pcv to drain oil properly.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Looks to me it was installed improperly.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
I had to do some trimming to the elbows and other orifices to actually make my snabb intake fit right. Looks like whoever installed that one just clamped it on as is and didn't realize they need tweaking.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think they may have put that sleeve in the wrong part. What goes between the metal sleeve and the turbo? the one with the PTC, right?

Also oil drained out of the bottom hole for the PTV box when the shop vac was close to it, would that indicate it was clear? I dont have a air compressor available.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
and to add to all the issues I have found so far the spark plug cylinders were full of oil also... I am assuming related to PTV. Really surprised this car was even running decent.

·
Registered
554 Posts
and to add to all the issues I have found so far the spark plug cylinders were full of oil also... I am assuming related to PTV. Really surprised this car was even running decent.
Popping dipstick /pcv fail over time? Dude monitor your seals that have been under high pressure and stress like cam seals, front crank seals, RMS, valve cover gasket in the back, spark plug o rings, etc. Otherwise maybe just oil filler cap o ring and top of pcv hose that connects to valve cover caused all that leakage. Also turbo blowing that much oil might want to bookmark one of the cheapest/ best k24 re-builders http://www.pureturbos.com/store/rem...rger-rebuild-service-remanufacturing-fix.html

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
That's why if your PO wasn't a "car person" or familiar with Volvo, chances are they neglected the PCV. It has basically no symptoms until you blow out seals and start consuming vast quantities of oil. By that time it's far too late.

You have plenty of the signs that it has been neglected for some time unfortunately. Have you been driving it enough to trend oil consumption?

And I did not modify my snabb intake and I don't have that kink. At least I didn't have one on the day I installed it.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts