SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PCV finally failed at 135,000 kms. Pulled my dipstick and the whining went away immediately. Drove it about 25 kms to my place and noticed erratic idling and my check engine light also came on. Some of you may be familiar with Volvo North America's "Extended Warranty Program 205" which covers this issue up to 120,000 miles (193,000 kms) or 10 years...being that it's Volvo North America, does that mean that I should be covered here in Canada? Any Canadians on here have this done already?

My second question is...should I drive it to the dealership (approx. 15 kms) or should I have it towed?

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Driving it gently will be fine. As for Canada coverage, I can't see why it wouldn't be...

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Seems like it would be for North America .

I just had Volvo do My V50 - they Normally just Ad a New Filter - don't know If they Include a Full Oil Change - I choose to Marvel out the Motor .
I took the New Cartilage Home , New Cap etc.

Reused the Old Cap that way - have Extra Cap .

http://

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Any Canadians on here have this done already?
Hi MM,

Had this done on my `06 last month. Fully covered under the extended warranty. Make sure you talk to the Service Manager first before talking to the Service desk guys. The Service desk guy was not aware of it and tried to charge me for the work.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I'm having to have this done for the 2nd time sometime in the near future. Pretty lame, glad it is covered under the extended warranty, but frustrated I can't have my indie do it instead of driving a 1.5 hr to the dealership.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I got mine done a week ago. 6 years of ownership, 43k miles on the clock. Covered for free.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I'm having to have this done for the 2nd time sometime in the near future. Pretty lame, glad it is covered under the extended warranty, but frustrated I can't have my indie do it instead of driving a 1.5 hr to the dealership.
Even the replacements are failing?

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
53,000 miles and only the Hose needed to be replaced , haven't Heard of the - Redesigned Unit being replaced .

Also it has been reported that If a Certified Mechanic does it Volvo Will reimburse . Didn't want to go thought that - Paper work .

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Even the replacements are failing?
Yup, at least mine did. I had mine done originally at 53k miles, and I'm now just about 107k. According to Volvo Customer Care I can't take it to my indie shop (a Volvo Master Tech runs it) and be reimbursed, I have to take it to the dealer for it to be covered.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Yup, at least mine did. I had mine done originally at 53k miles, and I'm now just about 107k. According to Volvo Customer Care I can't take it to my indie shop (a Volvo Master Tech runs it) and be reimbursed, I have to take it to the dealer for it to be covered.
I thought the new parts were better. I guess that's not the case. Bummer... Why would they do that?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Brought it into my local dealer today along with the Extended Warranty Program 205 paperwork. The service advisor knew nothing of it.

He called me about 30 minutes ago telling me that they will be performing the work today, free of charge :)

Thanks for all of the responses, guys.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Did they say anything about your mods?

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Brought it into my local dealer today along with the Extended Warranty Program 205 paperwork. The service advisor knew nothing of it.

He called me about 30 minutes ago telling me that they will be performing the work today, free of charge :)

Thanks for all of the responses, guys.
Sheesh that's scary, not quite sure how a service advisor would be in the dark with a fairly common issue. Glad it was taken care of. As for those that are having repeat issues its not very common. The replacement parts so far have held up fine. Haven't had to replace any that already received the recall/warranty. It is possible if u had it replaced with parts outside of Volvo ie from an indy supplier they have old defective replacements.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Sheesh that's scary, not quite sure how a service advisor would be in the dark with a fairly common issue. Glad it was taken care of. As for those that are having repeat issues its not very common. The replacement parts so far have held up fine. Haven't had to replace any that already received the recall/warranty. It is possible if u had it replaced with parts outside of Volvo ie from an indy supplier they have old defective replacements.
Do the original PCV and the replacement one have the same part number? If not, can you pelase specify the replacement part partnumber?

Is there a "cut off" production year after which this problem has been foxed?

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
533 2007-2008 0000261-0061038
542 2006-2008 0000590-0048646
544 2004-2008 0000295-0377851
545 2004-2008 0000133-0393565

Looks like it was cured mid 08 production year. #30788494 is the updated part number for the oil filter housing, what they changed isn't specified and I am unsure what the old part number is. Generally when the part is superseded it kind of just disappears.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
My indie guy gets all parts directly from the dealer, unless I supply him with an alternative part from elsewhere. I trust him completely with my car. Guess I'm just the unlucky one, or perhaps at the time Volvo hadn't actually updated the part since it was done before the 205 extended warranty went into effect, but they reimbursed me since I could provide proof of having the service done.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
533 2007-2008 0000261-0061038
542 2006-2008 0000590-0048646
544 2004-2008 0000295-0377851
545 2004-2008 0000133-0393565

Looks like it was cured mid 08 production year. #30788494 is the updated part number for the oil filter housing, what they changed isn't specified and I am unsure what the old part number is. Generally when the part is superseded it kind of just disappears.
Thank you! :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts