SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting ready to do a pcv valve/throttle body-timing belt/water pump and thermostat housing change and was wondering what else I should change/do maintenance on while I’m under there? My car has 178k and the previous owner didn’t keep up like they should so you can assume not much has been done. Thanks!

·
Registered
19,573 Posts
Hi there. You're gonna want to pore over this thread link and the one below it. Stage zero is pretty imperative, especially if nobody maintained the car in the last few years. Prepare yourself. It's not pretty and your wallet will weep. It may throw up first and then weep, or maybe it's the other way around.

The other thing you may want to treat yourself to is a VIDA/DiCE setup so you can read all the modules and see if there are active codes. It's invaluable to understand what your car is telling you.

Stage zero is well worth it. I just had the latter half of Stage 1 done on an 02 v70XC with 131K and it's a absolute dream to drive now: Fuel & air filter, transmission flush, antifreeze flush, belts, TB and tensioner, exhaust hangers, PCV and hoses, steering u-joint and now it's 100 times better than a gently used Honda with a car payment. I'd already done an oil & filter change, new battery, alternator and plugs and coils, torque mounts, among other things like tires and a full alignment, brakes and rotors on all four corners a while back.

I’m getting ready to do a pcv valve/throttle body-timing belt/water pump and thermostat housing change and was wondering what else I should change/do maintenance on while I’m under there? My car has 178k and the previous owner didn’t keep up like they should so you can assume not much has been done. Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: rockstarjake79

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there. You're gonna want to pore over this thread link and the one below it. Stage zero is pretty imperative, especially if nobody maintained the car in the last few years. Prepare yourself. It's not pretty and your wallet will weep. It may throw up first and then weep, or maybe it's the other way around.

The other thing you may want to treat yourself to is a VIDA/DiCE setup so you can read all the modules and see if there are active codes. It's invaluable to understand what your car is telling you.

Stage zero is well worth it. I just had the latter half of Stage 1 done on an 02 v70XC with 131K and it's a absolute dream to drive now: Fuel & air filter, transmission flush, antifreeze flush, belts, TB and tensioner, exhaust hangers, PCV and hoses, steering u-joint and now it's 100 times better than a gently used Honda with a car payment. I'd already done an oil & filter change, new battery, alternator and plugs and coils, torque mounts, among other things like tires and a full alignment, brakes and rotors on all four corners a while back.
What is the Vida/dice set up actually? I have heard something about a old computer and hacking into Volvo?

·
Registered
19,573 Posts
Many have a fancier setup, but mine is indeed an older laptop with a cracked Vehicle Information and Diagnostics for Aftersales software license. Then, yes - you need the interfacing DiCE cable to link the laptop with the OBD2. Look through here for a ton of discussion.
It's pretty cool what you can do. Move a seat, change temps, turn things on and off, reset stuff, see and graph things like fuel pressure and voltage in real time while driving.
What is the Vida/dice set up actually? I have heard something about a old computer and hacking into Volvo?

·
Registered
510 Posts
If using a Volvo T-stat assembly, get the gasket. Volvo t-stat assembly does not include the gasket. I would replace the drive belt and drive belt tensioner. Depending on the year, replace the gasket for the CVVT solenoids. The updated gaskets have a screen to limit engine oil trash from getting stuck in the CVVT hubs. The t-stat bolt heads are 40? torx. They vibrate tight. Get a long pull bar. Press in hard on the socket while pulling harder or snapping the bolt loose. It will make a snapping sound like the bolt head broke off, it didn't. The banjo bolt nipple will have a hard plastic line going to the top of the PCV box hose elbow. Replace the hard plastic with 3/16 vac line or blue silicone hose. Run a 1/8 drill bit thru both nipples to clear out any dried oil gunk. If the plastic nipple breaks off at the pcv hose elbow, pull it out and use a 3/16 inline plastic nipple. Remove the t-stat assembly 1st, makes it easier to remove the front lower intake bolt. The bottom of the intake manifold bolt holes are slotted. Just loosen to remove the intake. On installation this holds the new intake gasket in place while sliding the intake back in place. You should see very little to no build up on the intake valves. The injectors keep all Volvo engine valves clean except for the new 4 cylinder direct injection.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many have a fancier setup, but mine is indeed an older laptop with a cracked Vehicle Information and Diagnostics for Aftersales software license. Then, yes - you need the interfacing DiCE cable to link the laptop with the OBD2. Look through here for a ton of discussion.
It's pretty cool what you can do. Move a seat, change temps, turn things on and off, reset stuff, see and graph things like fuel pressure and voltage in real time while driving.
Is there someone or a site that sells this stuff?

·
Registered
2007.5 Volvo S60R, 2004 S60R, 2004 Volvo V70R, 2005 Volvo XC90, 2015.5 Volvo XC60, 1996 Volvo 854R.
500 Posts
Is there someone or a site that sells this stuff?
Hey, @Es Sadie! I'm SO Excited for you man! There Is absolutely someone, I would highly recommend looking at these pages! I personally couldn't be bothered to try a Virtual Machine, Installing VIDA Myself, And I'm REALLY Surprised more people don't recommend him. David Leach on Facebook @TacklaNHL on here I believe! I hope he's still selling them. But here's his website as well, For VIDA.
Diagnostic Laptops – Automotive systems for Volvo and more I hope that helps. I hope you have an awesome day, Es Sadie, You too David! LOL

·
Registered
19,573 Posts
This. David is regarded as a very nice guy and very helpful, ASIDE from being full of knowledge.
Hey, @Es Sadie! I'm SO Excited for you man! There Is absolutely someone, I would highly recommend looking at these pages! I personally couldn't be bothered to try a Virtual Machine, Installing VIDA Myself, And I'm REALLY Surprised more people don't recommend him. David Leach on Facebook @TacklaNHL on here I believe! I hope he's still selling them. But here's his website as well, For VIDA.
Diagnostic Laptops – Automotive systems for Volvo and more I hope that helps. I hope you have an awesome day, Es Sadie, You too David! LOL

• Love
Reactions: rockstarjake79
1 - 12 of 12 Posts