SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Volvo s60 2.5t. I bought this vehicle about 8 months ago. So, about two weeks ago I replaced my PCV breather system with a kit that I bought off of IPD. (Those banjo bolts were a real struggle). I replaced it after a reduced engine performance message appeared and I tested the PCV with the good ol' glove trick. After some research, I figured that was the reason for the message as other people had the same issue and message and replacing the PCV cleared that message for them. Well, while performing this project a few things broke that were old and looked like they have never been replaced in the lifetime of the vehicle (it does have near 200k miles). A vacuum hose that connects on top of the intake manifold is one of those items that broke. The rip was clean and not very big. So I just cut a teeny bit off the hose so it would be smooth and just tugged the hose a little bit so it would still fit all the way snuggly and I could clamp it. It worked and I finished the project. Well, reduced engine performance never went away, but I still kept driving the car because it's my primary vehicle and I need to get to school- yes I am trying to excuse my bad choices. Well, that hose didn't last the week and this morning I got an engine service required a message, checked under the hood and there is a huge rip. So, I have a few different problems, some that I created myself, that I will list below and hopefully someone can give me some insight.

1. Can someone tell me where this hose goes and how much of a pain it is going to be to replace(and where I can find the part)? I included a picture of the engine of a 2005 that I found online because I hadn't taken a picture of mine, but it's in the same location.
http://gtcarlot.com/data/Volvo/S60/2005/614037/Engine-513
it is the hose that comes up from under the intake and is connected right on top in the middle of the intake

2. How should I handle the reduced engine performance message, how do I determine what it is? I was able to get a code one time of P1167 but not sure if it is for reduced engine performance or for something else?

·
Registered
29 Posts
That link does not appear to work.

Did you clean out the ports where the PCV hoses connect? Often they are clogged and more than hose replacement is required.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can reconnect it to the top of the breather box without taking off the intake manifold but its very difficult, your best route is just to remove the manifold again and replace the hose all together its about $10-15 USD iirc.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I too would recommend just replacing the hose completely. It's basically the intake breather hose to the oil separator box. I would think that the kit came with that hose though? Did you get the cheaper, or more expensive kit? I believe if I remember right they sell a kit with the hose/tube that the banjo bolt tightens to, and a kit without that hose/tube. The difference is like $150 if not more... Are we all thinking of the wrong hose maybe? I'm reading your post as the hose that comes up through the middle of the intake manifold and bends around in a flattened top "J" shape right next to the oil filler neck... There's a smaller hose which is a vacuum hose that connects to the end of the plenum of the intake manifold on the drivers side which then connects to the CBV of the turbo. If it's that hose, you can use any rubber or silicon tubing hose of equal inner diameter size for that. I'd recommend silicon though for durability and heat resistance.

If you Google up P1167 for a Volvo S60 (or in general) that code corresponds to the O2 or air/fuel ratio sensor, the rear one I believe which may indicate a failed or poorly performing catalytic converter. It's possible that you just coincidentally have this code, but a clogged PCV system could possibly damage the cat if it makes the car run rich for an extended amount of time. Look into the ripped hose though first, and then try resetting the ECU either with a code scanner that can erase codes, or by disconnecting the battery and touching the positive and negative cables together for 10-15 minutes, them reconnecting the battery back up. Good luck!

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I almost forgot about this hose, it's part of the EVAP system... Is this the hose you're referring to? If so, there's a new topic started about if it can be replaced with any type of hose... IMG_20190505_113311.jpg

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts