SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed (1k miles ago) a new PCV breather box on my '05 V70 2.4i. I traced a large oil leak to the right angle short hose on the top of the new breather box last night. When I installed it, it did not seem under great tension, though I did (gently) use a rubber mallet to snug the fit of this connection on the front of the engine. I also did not overtighten the jubilee/hose clamp. Is there some trick to installing the PCV box that I am unaware of, or do Volvo rubber parts sometimes fail like this out of the box?

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
First time I've heard of this happening with a Volvo hose. It happens with URO stuff quite a bit but not Volvo. I guess there's a first time for everything.

Not saying this is what caused it but I wouldn't use a rubber mallet to get that hose on. It should just press right on. I wonder if it was possibly an incorrect part? If the hose is too small, I can see it splitting early on like this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'll not use the mallet again this time, though the fit was snug before and needed some gentle persuasion to get all the way down. I have a replacement angle hose which FCP gave me with my order of the PCV box, not sure if I was meant to swap it out before installing. The hose on the box was attached and sealed with some plastic/styrofoam which I had to dislodge to get the busted hose off. Both hoses have the same p/n.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Looks like the hose clamp could have been right at the edge of the vent port (half on, half off) and caused a pinch/stress point. Make sure it's seated well on the vent port and don't over tighten, this is a vacuum connection and doesn't need to be super tight, just snug.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In hindsight, I recall that I tightened the hose clamp over the upper front hose, then found the bolt which passes through the pcv box into the block wouldn't fit, so I monkeyed it in, which probably stressed out the rubber. The box was out of spec on the distance between the bolt hole and the hose opening. This time I attached the bolts first, left both of the angle hose connections loose and tightened them once the bolts were snug.

·
Registered
20 Posts
In hindsight, I recall that I tightened the hose clamp over the upper front hose, then found the bolt which passes through the pcv box into the block wouldn't fit, so I monkeyed it in, which probably stressed out the rubber. The box was out of spec on the distance between the bolt hole and the hose opening. This time I attached the bolts first, left both of the angle hose connections loose and tightened them once the bolts were snug.
I could be wrong, but looking at the photo, it looks like the incorrect clamp was used. Did you use a screw-type worm clamp? These components require a one-time-use Oetiker-style clamps. They are more expensive, but unless you feel like doing the job again, use those instead. The screw type clamps, especially when overtightened, dig into the rubber and sometimes go right through it.

The only reason I found this thread is I am redoing my hose. It tore in the exact same place as yours which has been covering my oil pan and dripping on the floor. Once oil hits the lip on the top of the oil pan, it goes everywhere when you're driving.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I bought my PCV kit through IPD, it came with regular pipe clamps. I do agree, the Oetiker clamp is a better clamp, and is quicker to work with, but is not required for a proper installation, and I'm not a fan of the one time use. If you know what you're doing then pipe clamps are fine and are reusable so you don't need a stash of them for services and you won't be left SOL when a hose fails road side and you need to splice a new one in (I always keep a short length of vacuum hose and fuel line in my spare wheel well for such events, and duct tape :)). I've replaced all the Oetiker clamps that I've removed with SS pipe clamps, no issues.

·
Registered
61 Posts
On the angle hose did you use a new one? it sounds like all you replaced was the oil separator box?
Please tell me you replaced all the hoses with new OE volvo ones? I have never had issue with new OE hoses breaking or tearing like that....

I just installed (1k miles ago) a new PCV breather box on my '05 V70 2.4i. I traced a large oil leak to the right angle short hose on the top of the new breather box last night. When I installed it, it did not seem under great tension, though I did (gently) use a rubber mallet to snug the fit of this connection on the front of the engine. I also did not overtighten the jubilee/hose clamp. Is there some trick to installing the PCV box that I am unaware of, or do Volvo rubber parts sometimes fail like this out of the box?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts