SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have never put the key in the ignition in my S60. In fact I'm so used to PCC that I find it extremely annoying to have to deal with a key in my wife's XC90.

Until today. I was running an errand before work and got back in the car and hit the Start button and the message "key not found" or something showed up. I tried again and same thing.

I put the key in and the car started.

I got a few miles down the road and turned the car off at a red light, removed the key and tried PCC and it worked.

Only thing I can think of is that I was parked under a massive high tension cable which could have interfered with the PCC signal?

Have others found PCC buggy?

·
Registered
780 Posts
It did happen to me once or twice...but I wouldn't put much thought into it - especially since this is the only time it happened to you -

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I'm having issues saying there's no key found if I leave the car running in park and get out of the car; the keys are in the armrest. I've been getting it a lot lately, I'm going to bring it up at my oil change.

·
Registered
780 Posts
The only thing that I could find in the manual that seemed interesting is this >

"PCC with keyless drive only. Remote key not recognized during start. Try to start the vehicle again.
If the problem continues, insert the remote key into the ignition slot and try to start the vehicle again."

and this >
"Electromagnetic fields or metal obstructions can interfere with the keyless drive system. Avoid placing the remote key near cellular phones, metallic
objects or e.g., in a metal briefcase."

All in all, not very helpful.

In any case, I'm curious why you'd want take the key out of your pocket when you get in the car and put it in the armrest in the first place?

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
In any case, I'm curious why you'd want take the key out of your pocket when you get in the car and put it in the armrest in the first place?
Because just like I stated I get out of the car sometimes with it running, if I walk out of the car with the key's in my pocket than I'll get the same message.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Try putting new batteries in the PCC; it fixed my problem. It was showing "key not found" about 20% of the times when I tried to start the car. Sometimes it may just be due to interference, like mobile phones.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Try putting new batteries in the PCC; it fixed my problem. It was showing "key not found" about 20% of the times when I tried to start the car. Sometimes it may just be due to interference, like mobile phones.
Interference is usually the case. It appens.

·
Registered
303 Posts
My vote's on interference or weak batteries, too.

This has happened to me on occasion. Most of the time the door won't unlock because the PCC and the my iPhone were in the same pocket and the PCC somehow slid behind the phone.

The PCC must emit a fairly weak signal to avoid FCC interference issues.

Curiously, I can sometimes get the door to unlock but still get the "Key Not Found" message when I try to start it. Are the ignition and door sensors the same or seperate?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
There are four PCC antennas. One in the rear deck can be seen if you open the trunk and
look up at the underside of rear deck. It is about 4 inches long and black. There is another
in the rear bumper. One in the back of the center console and one in the front center console.
The ignition has it's own module. There is a control module in the trunk where all the antenna plug
into on the gas cap side behind the gray trim. Above from alldatadiy.com The data also shows a
diagram that indicates the range is 1.2 to 1.4 meters from the car.

More:

Note! In certain cases malfunctions may occur in the system when communication between the keyless vehicle module (KVM) and the remote key is interrupted for different reasons. These malfunctions are not due to any electrical faults and do not generate any diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs).

If the remote key is held in the hand that is used to press the start button (IAU), remote key identification can fail. This results in a message being shown in the driver information module (DIM). The vehicle will not start either. However, the vehicle will start on another start attempt. The fault does not generate any diagnostic trouble codes. The fault is rare.

If a button on the remote key is pressed when remote key identification is carried out, reading off will fail. This means that the remote key cannot transmit and receive data at the same time (when a button is pressed on the remote key, the remote key is busy sending "normal" remote key commands). This fault may occur if the remote key is in a pocket or bag and a button has been pressed by mistake.

Due to increased ambient radiation, for example, from TV/radio transmitters and mobile phones and meters with remote reading, the signal from the remote key can, in some cases, be interrupted. In many cases this occurs in certain locations, where different outside signals make transmission and reception conditions unfavorable. This affects not only keyless vehicle systems but all types of wireless communication.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts