SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greets from Cape Cod

I head to Sweden, June 21 for p/u, June 24th. My dealer in the US wants me to go in to sign the paperwork. I am mindful NOT to start paying yet but when would I expect to start my payments?

I was offered a rate from PenFed for 3.99 on 60 months and 4.99 from Lightstream. My credit score is 820. My dealer offered 3.44. Any ideas on even lower, for 60 months?

Anything else I need to prepare for, before going to the dealer? This is not my first car buying rodeo but the OSD shifts my knowledge base to zero.

TY

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Greets from Cape Cod

I head to Sweden, June 21 for p/u, June 24th. My dealer in the US wants me to go in to sign the paperwork. I am mindful NOT to start paying yet but when would I expect to start my payments?

I was offered a rate from PenFed for 3.99 on 60 months and 4.99 from Lightstream. My credit score is 820. My dealer offered 3.44. Any ideas on even lower, for 60 months?

Anything else I need to prepare for, before going to the dealer? This is not my first car buying rodeo but the OSD shifts my knowledge base to zero.

TY
Generally the payment is due 30 days out but experiences here vary a little bit. However if you do finance you will more than likely start paying on the car before it gets here. Not a bad thing but it doesn't always sit well with some. An option is to work with a smaller institution that might allow you to delay payments until the car gets here. We did that with our first OSD in 12 and used a credit union. They fronted the check but allowed us to delay the start until we had the car in our garage.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I head to Sweden, June 21 for p/u, June 24th. ... but when would I expect to start my payments?
No sooner than 30 days before June 24, no later than before you board the plane to Sweden.

Navy Federal Credit Union is 3.69% for 60 months so your dealer's 3.44% is pretty darn good for where I usually look . . . Strange Lightstream is so high as Swedespeeders usually report them being the best interest rate . . .

Anything else I need to prepare for, before going to the dealer?
I believe you will get hit with "Do you want to buy this warranty and that service prepayment and this protection plan, etc. because it's cheaper to buy now rather than later, etc." While all true you don't have to decide that instant while you're at the dealer signing. You have some time - I forget what the mileage is, maybe 1000 miles or so - to decide on these various pure profit paths for the dealer, I mean, ah, coverage/insurance/protection plans. I recommend asking your dealer what the last decision date is on whatever is being offered and write it down for deciding later (but not too later) when you're likely more calm, unemotional, and objective. And cross shop pricing with Steingold Volvo over the Mass line in Pawtucket, Rhode (or just drive over and talk with Mike) as you might be pleasantly surprised . . .

I mean you're buying a beautiful Volvo after all - who doesn't get all emotional! Congrats and good luck!

OH, almost forgot to mention, be sure to ask your dealer when you should be paying Mass sales tax and filing for any Mass hybrid rebate if applicable. OSD tends to make timing a bit more complicated if the dealer is unaware . . .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts