SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

341 - 357 of 357 Posts

·
Registered
15,894 Posts
Roads in the west side of the mountain passes in the PNW vary widely from outstanding to pure lunacy. It’s also pothole central up here and they suddenly appear in city driving.

Nope, I used Moog LCAs. Three year warranty. Locally sourced.
ahhh potholes fun times. we get that here every spring. Although maybe not this spring since we seem to be skipping winter.

I saw that you used Moog for the LCAs in the previous post but I was wondering what's in the rear bushings.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #342 (Edited)
ahhh potholes fun times. we get that here every spring. Although maybe not this spring since we seem to be skipping winter.

I saw that you used Moog for the LCAs in the previous post but I was wondering what's in the rear bushings.
The LCA’s are Moog and the bushings and ball joints look superior to the Meyles. Paid $150 locally. Didn’t feel like waiting and had room in the shop.

For the rear end, last year I used genuine Volvo control arms from delta link to frame with aftermarket trailing arm anchor bushings and IPD sway.

The Kaphlenke subframe bushing is by far the best upgrade. I was pretty shocked. I’ve put Volvo units into two P80s and found it not as tight as mine. One was an M56 like mine.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #343
To finish the ride quality story, I’ve got the IPD trans mount and IPD upper torque mount, IPD rear firewall mount, with genuine Volvo hydraulic mounts and front mount. With a manual trans, there is zero vibration at idle in the cabin. Adding the delrin subframe bushings (recently) increased vibration ever so slightly, but makes the car 5x more fun to drive. Nothing buzzing inside the cabin nor any body panel buzzing. Gear engagement from idle is smooth as glass now and gear change is more immediate. Slop and dip in the front end is gone during braking and deceleration.The one legged axle still spins the tire at will in first, second, and third.

·
Registered
15,894 Posts
Yup the Delrin bushings are amazing. Total makeover of the car.

The IPD sway bar is crude but effective. We put one in my dad's NA and it was a nightmare to install compared to the Volvo equivalent but it really does do wonders to have matched sway bars front and rear. I think you're talking about the small inner bushings that you have aftermarket in the Delta link? I'd keep an eye on those since the castings have been known to crack.

Sounds like you need a LSD next lol. And/or some super sticky rubber.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #345
Nah I don’t blame the brand. I’ve noticed on several p80s I’ve worked on that the ball joint takes huge abuse when the subframe bushings are bad or broken causing the front end to move all over the place. I did complete front brakes and hubs on one example only to have it return to me 2K mi later with very squeaky brakes only to discover deep grooves in the front rotors. Looked closer at the rear subframe bushings to find them partially separated. Newer oem sub bushings, new front rotors, and new front pads and that car is wearing very normally now. Had it back for an oil change just couple mos ago and I’ll be darned it’s got no grooves on the rotors and drives straight as an arrow. Only I’ve touched this car in its last 15K mi or so so no unseen maintenance that I’m not privy to. The sub bushings in the coupes seem to hold up better. The brakes and subframe bushings I’ve observed on a handful of ‘04–‘07 VRs seem to be of much better design. I know the top hats on the p80 struts can cause a slew of premature wear issues too but that’s a different story.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
A perfect day in western WA today after much less than blissful days these past many months. Cheers to those struggling in floods up here and in OR. A Bodizafa IPA from Georgetown at my favorite local pizza joint and the perfection continues.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #347
Replaced the ailing tailgate shocks today. I bought these $18 shipped eBay units which actually look good and function very well. They may hold up. Nice smooth motion. The original units did not have the ball keeper like these. A bit longer fitting on the cylinder side but overall same length and fit easily. I bought some from a different eBay seller for other shocks I’ve replaced and this particular one is high quality. Price is great.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Replaced the ailing tailgate shocks today. I bought these $18 shipped eBay units which actually look good and function very well. They may hold up. Nice smooth motion. The original units did not have the ball keeper like these. A bit longer fitting on the cylinder side but overall same length and fit easily. I bought some from a different eBay seller for other shocks I’ve replaced and this particular one is high quality. Price is great.

Do you know if 850s use the same tailgate strut?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #349
Do you know if 850s use the same tailgate strut?

The East-coasters here will get angry at me but go to ipdusa.com, load up your vehicle, go to the Interior category, and scroll down to the vehicle fitment section to expose the fact that all 850 wagons and 98-00 V70s use the same part. Good luck. This strut has held up well. Very good buy for an eBay item.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The East-coasters here will get angry at me but go to ipdusa.com, load up your vehicle, go to the Interior category, and scroll down to the vehicle fitment section to expose the fact that all 850 wagons and 98-00 V70s use the same part. Good luck. This strut has held up well. Very good buy for an eBay item.
Awesome. I found them on ebay like you said but wanted to confirm they are the same.

Thanks!

·
Registered
15,894 Posts
I would trust the part lookup on volvopartswebstore (or any other dealer with a good parts website) waaaaaaaay more than any of the 3rd party guys (IPD, FCP, etc......some of the fitments I see listed on FCP's site are insane).

Best idea would be to look it up in VIDA but sometimes I don't feel like firing up my VIDA machine.

·
Registered
489 Posts
It’s been 5 years since I left iPd, and while I don’t have a ton of positive things to say about post-Richard Gordon iPd, one thing they always were good with and would imagine they still are good with is verifying parts compatibility against VIDA. In my day, we had a person on staff- Cameron Daline (who also wised up and quit that place) whose sole job as product line manager was confirming parts fitment. I trust this aspect of their website and I *still* use it as reference, as Paul described.

·
Registered
15,894 Posts
It’s been 5 years since I left iPd, and while I don’t have a ton of positive things to say about post-Richard Gordon iPd, one thing they always were good with and would imagine they still are good with is verifying parts compatibility against VIDA. In my day, we had a person on staff- Cameron Daline (who also wised up and quit that place) whose sole job as product line manager was confirming parts fitment. I trust this aspect of their website and I *still* use it as reference, as Paul described.
Good to know.

FCP has a guy who is doing this now, too, so things are also improving there. However VIDA is still the gold standard as far as I'm concerned. For rear hatch struts you don't need it but the level of detail for all the various VIN splits is hard to capture elsewhere.

·
Super Moderator
8,567 Posts
I would trust the part lookup on volvopartswebstore (or any other dealer with a good parts website) waaaaaaaay more than any of the 3rd party guys (IPD, FCP, etc......some of the fitments I see listed on FCP's site are insane).

Best idea would be to look it up in VIDA but sometimes I don't feel like firing up my VIDA machine.
volvopartswebstore is my go to site, as well.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #355
Somebody I don’t know gave this to me today, excited that it looked like my wagon. It was a neat day. Good looking model too. I didn’t know it existed. Perhaps old news. Does it depict an actual oem wheel? I can’t tell. Hoping all are well. Same old crap in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
15,765 Posts
Paul - that's pretty special that someone liked your car enough to remember and buy that when they saw it.
Same crap here too. Here's to more sunlight day by day at least, if not warmth anytime soon. We're looking at rain this weekend. :(

·
Registered
15,894 Posts
That's just a generic hot wheels wheel design. They put the same wheels on all their cars. Lol. Cool story though 👍

341 - 357 of 357 Posts