SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Being retired, I will just take another 6 week vacation instead of waiting at home for the Volvo.

·
Registered
151 Posts
No, I was told it was not going to leave Gothenburg until July 23, so probably a little early yet. Did you get to meet any distant relatives?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For me it's worse with the car in Jersey than on the boat, knowing it's not far away just sitting there sucks. Maybe I'll drive up and waive to her

·
Registered
57 Posts
FDC had told us the estimated departure date from Gothenburg was July 17 (we dropped off on July 15).

I later emailed [email protected] for a status update, and they said that due to the summer shutdown from mid-July to mid-August, it actually won’t be shipped until August 17.

But now I’m seeing that some OSD cars are getting shipped during the shutdown period...? I’m confused!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
473 Posts
FDC had told us the estimated departure date from Gothenburg was July 17 (we dropped off on July 15).

I later emailed [email protected] for a status update, and they said that due to the summer shutdown from mid-July to mid-August, it actually won't be shipped until August 17.

But now I'm seeing that some OSD cars are getting shipped during the shutdown period...? I'm confused!

There is virtually no way to predict which cars go first in the que.it is not FIFO. For instance reddogone & I had the same delivery day. His shipped out weeks ahead of ours. Our XC60 shipped to Zeebrugge and sat at the dock for weeks. IIRC reddogone car landed on the East Coast before our XC60 left Zeebrugge. If I read the shipping manifest right there were 6 Volvos that were being dropped at port Huneme (Long Beach) Volvo logistics probably collected them all and put them all on the same ship...disregarding delivery dates at FDC. IOW...it's complicated

·
Registered
57 Posts
There is virtually no way to predict which cars go first in the que.it is not FIFO. For instance reddogone & I had the same delivery day. His shipped out weeks ahead of ours. Our XC60 shipped to Zeebrugge and sat at the dock for weeks. IIRC reddogone car landed on the East Coast before our XC60 left Zeebrugge. If I read the shipping manifest right there were 6 Volvos that were being dropped at port Huneme (Long Beach) Volvo logistics probably collected them all and put them all on the same ship...disregarding delivery dates at FDC. IOW...it's complicated
So I should pretty much ignore the dates they provided me? Bummer! Well, at least I have some pretty pics of my car to look at until then.

·
Registered
151 Posts
They had to put a trailer hitch on ours after we turned ours in on July 15, so we were told July 22 shipping. We probably met at the FDC.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Car still with customs, longest week ever.
Hope it clears soon. Our car sat four weeks on a California dock waiting for Customs clearance last year. The total shipping time from Sweden to CA was less than the time awaiting Customs processing. Car being in limbo that long was a little...frustrating.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hope it clears soon. Our car sat four weeks on a California dock waiting for Customs clearance last year. The total shipping time from Sweden to CA was less than the time awaiting Customs processing. Car being in limbo that long was a little...frustrating.
Thanks, yeah it left 7/7 from Goteburg got to NJ & been sitting there since 21st. Hopefully it won't be much longer. I feel like a kid at Christmas that peaked before presents got wrapped.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Thanks, yeah it left 7/7 from Goteburg got to NJ & been sitting there since 21st. Hopefully it won't be much longer. I feel like a kid at Christmas that peaked before presents got wrapped.
I know that feeling! It's definitely worth the wait!

For me part of the frustration is I could track the shipment on the Figaro just about every single day, then got photos of the ship traveling through the Panama Canal. Then watched as the ship docked in Port Hueneme...then...nothing for four weeks. Icing on the cake though was how quickly Seattle Volvo handled the delivery. Had to overnight a couple of documents, next day the car was ready to go...and took all of ten minutes to pick up my gorgeous Maple Brown/Amber V90 T6 Inscription.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know that feeling! It's definitely worth the wait!

For me part of the frustration is I could track the shipment on the Figaro just about every single day, then got photos of the ship traveling through the Panama Canal. Then watched as the ship docked in Port Hueneme...then...nothing for four weeks. Icing on the cake though was how quickly Seattle Volvo handled the delivery. Had to overnight a couple of documents, next day the car was ready to go...and took all of ten minutes to pick up my gorgeous Maple Brown/Amber V90 T6 Inscription.

Best of luck!
Agree wish they had some sort of customs tracking. Received a notice in mail today thanking me for the purchase and reminding me to service at Volvo, would love to, just need the car first

·
Registered
677 Posts
Agree wish they had some sort of customs tracking. Received a notice in mail today thanking me for the purchase and reminding me to service at Volvo, would love to, just need the car first
The Customs folks don't care about having a tracking system...because they don't have too. I reviewed our schedule after my last post. Our delivery missed the FDC published guideline by three days, so guess I shouldn't be too irritated. But it was a tad aggravating tracking the car through the Canal and up the West Coast...only to have it go in to limbo for almost a month.

OTOH, enjoying the hell out of my V90 T6. My habit in 50 plus years of driving is to be pretty cautious for the first 5,000 miles or so. Now that the break in miles are done...I've found this car hauls ass when asked. LOL

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Customs folks don't care about having a tracking system...because they don't have too. I reviewed our schedule after my last post. Our delivery missed the FDC published guideline by three days, so guess I shouldn't be too irritated. But it was a tad aggravating tracking the car through the Canal and up the West Coast...only to have it go in to limbo for almost a month.

OTOH, enjoying the hell out of my V90 T6. My habit in 50 plus years of driving is to be pretty cautious for the first 5,000 miles or so. Now that the break in miles are done...I've found this car hauls ass when asked. LOL
Yeah customs can do whatever they want, they aren't big on costumer service . In the 4th week now, 3 days past estimate. I have to say this is only draw back to OSD, other wise it's been great.
Glad you're enjoying the car, hopefully I'll be in mine soon, V60 T6 w/ Polestar

·
Registered
677 Posts
Yeah customs can do whatever they want, they aren't big on costumer service . In the 4th week now, 3 days past estimate. I have to say this is only draw back to OSD, other wise it's been great.
Glad you're enjoying the car, hopefully I'll be in mine soon, V60 T6 w/ Polestar
V60 T6 +p*...wow.

Remind me not to race you. :D

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Have you called the OSD office in NJ? They may know what is the hold up. It could be something as simple as customs may be waiting for something from you.

When my XC90 arrived, it stayed in limbo for several weeks until I asked about it. It turned out the customs expediter (IFFUSA?) didn't have my email address because it wasn't readable on the fax he got. Once I made first contact, the car was processed and soon enough, it was on my driveway.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts