SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our '04 V70 is slowly getting ready to for the next phase in it's life. We bought the car when our son was a tiny little dude. Now, 208k miles later, 6 au-pairs, endless skitrips, and one slow speed stone wall visit, we decided to freshen up the car since my son is getting ready to drive. He's a Volvo fan and wants to drive a stick, so it will be his car in less than a year.... Over the last couple of years he therefore has been made in charge of doing Lexol leather treatments, washing, waxing etc. We also work on the car together - nice bonding time! Last project was to replace the EVAP pump replacement. After having the CEL on for fuel leak and tried the usual suspects (new fuel cap, updated software) we had to bite the bullet - used the Bosch replacement part and so far all is well. The only issue was that many of the bolts were completely rusted after 14 years of New England winter driving - took some drilling and metal work to fix. (BTW: Excellent step by step instructions

After some minor rust repair, a new fender, and a partial respray (to fix bumper scratches, hood chips, general fade etc) - all done professionally - we decided to try to fix the gray moldings using SEM spray (bumper coater). They were all pretty light grey (forgot to take "before" picture). We have used back to black and different dressings over the years - all are great for a short time, then wear off again. See also this old thread: Swedespeed thread on SEM paint
Most of the moldings were removed, prepped (scuffed, cleaned etc) and then painted (3-4 thin layers). The remaining moldings were painted on the car. The result came out great and now we will just do the cowling piece (masked off while on the car) and we are done for now. I know some people argue against it but we will try - it is in rather faded state so what's there to loose? Will report back after a winter to share how the SEM paint holds up. Next step is to refinish the wheels in gunmetal over the winter (when we have snows on).

Ready for another 200k miles!

two comments:
1. the mouse sticker i magnetic and my son asked if he could put it on - who was I to say no?
2. Yes - the reflection you see is another red Volvo - our 2015 V60 T6 R design that wife drives.

WP_20190908_001_1.jpg

WP_20191005_001_1.jpg

WP_20191005_002_1.jpg

·
Registered
16,805 Posts
Subscribed. Great to see another passion vr. Glad you have another enthusiast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last piece

We did paint the cowling over the weekend, and in combination with using the SEM trim paint for the wiper arms, it came out real nice.
In the end we opted to remove the cowling form the car before painting. Kind of a challenge to get the wiper arms off, but since we were painting them it made sense to remove them . Used he old "wiper arm puller and then tap with rubber mallet" trick. Put on anti seize for the next time around.

WP_20191007_001_1.jpg

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A year later and the SEM paint is holding up very well. Even after spending a winter outside in the snow etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts