SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello swedespeeders

I'm about to purchase one of the abovelisted vehicles in my topic title and I'm desperately seeking some wisdom about which car would be the best choice since I will probably have the car for the next ten years. I love manuals 5 spd, 6, what the hell, 10 if they made 'em'. Shifting is a must.

If I get a Ipd or Rica chip in my V70 2.4 5spd will there be a significant difference in performance against the V70 2.4T auto. Also gas mileage is very important, 30 mpg is my standard. I'm also probably going overseas to purchase the V70 because I will get all the options at lower price than purchasing it in the USA. My second choice is the Passat variant gls 5 spd.
I need some guidance!!!

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Get the Volvo 2.5 5 spd http://********************/smile/emwink.gif You are on a Volvo forum afterall http://********************/smile/emwink.gif

Seriouslly, I would stay away from the Passat GLS. I have a 99 Passat GLS with the tip and I'm moving over to Volvo hopefully in the spring.

#1 reason is the dealerships. VW dealerships treat you like crap. I didn't pay $23K for a vehical to get treated without respect. They don't listen to you when you tell them what is wrong. I have all tools to diagnose my own codes and they ignore the printout I give them.

The 1.8T is very tunable but if you do tune it, the dealership will give you crap. There have been issues where the dealership will void your warranty for having aftermarket springs installed or if they know you have a chip but you brought it in for bad tie-rod.

I will have to say that not all dealerships are like this but most are unfortunately. But finding one that will treat you with respect and mod-friendly will be very hard. There are not many out there.

So if you haven't noticed, VW has left a very soured taste in my mouth at the moment.

Going with Volvo to get better service and a better car. Now only if I can get my car of choice, a 2004 V70R, I'll be very happy.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Ron

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: Passat variant gls 5spd or v70 2.4 5 spd with rica chip/ v70 2.4t auto tranny (B518T)

quote:

Get the Volvo 2.5 5 spd http://********************/smile/emwink.gif
There is no Volvo "2.5 with 5-speed manual". The 2.4L engine and non-turbo comes with the manual but you cannot chip it rhough iPd because it is not turbocharged. Only S.A.M. makes a chip for a non-turbo engine and it is not worth paying that kind of money for only 15HP-gain.

Go with the turbo...especially since you will be considering a European delivery car; prices for 2003 V70s have dropped significantly.

Yannis

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Passat variant gls 5spd or v70 2.4 5 spd with rica chip/ v70 2.4t auto tranny (GrecianVolvo)

Hmmm.. I own a vw but it is completely different than a new passat. im not a big fan of newer VW's but i am of older ones. the quality of the newer ones are not as good as it used to as they are now not made in germany (the ones that come to the US at least) I would have to give this one to volvo by a longshot. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by Longboarder, 6:21 AM 11-27-2002]

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: Passat variant gls 5spd or v70 2.4 5 spd with rica chip/ v70 2.4t auto tranny (Longboarder)

quote:

the quality of the newer ones are not as good as it used to as they are now not made in germany (the ones that come to the US at least) I would have to give this one to volvo by a longshot. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif
Wow...even the Passats are made in Mexico??? Or Brazil?

Yannis

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Passat variant gls 5spd or v70 2.4 5 spd with rica chip/ v70 2.4t auto tranny (GrecianVolvo)

thanks Yannis

Cost is one of the main reasons that I want to chip the 2.4 non turbo. The difference between the non turbo and the turbo V70 is about three K after all is said and done,even purchasing it overseas, plus the higher insurance cost annually. How much is that chip approximately? I'm not cogizant of the
manufacturer of the S.A.M. chip. I want my V70 to have some bite but it's not required that it be the sabertooth of the road http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
Re: Passat variant gls 5spd or v70 2.4 5 spd with rica chip/ v70 2.4t auto tranny (yohuff)

If the T5 is out of the question then you are left with the 2.4M if you want a manual. I think the chip is several hundred dollars for like 10-15 hp that you will hardly ever feel. Perhaps a used '01 T5M is the answer. I see them on autotrader for probably less than what you will pay for a new 2.4M.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: Passat variant gls 5spd or v70 2.4 5 spd with rica chip/ v70 2.4t auto tranny (Wayne T5)

Passats are made in Germany, as are Jetta Wagons; other models are made in Mexico. VW dealerships, in my experience...well...suck. I love my Passat GLX 4Mo, but of the vehicles you noted, I might go for the Volvo.

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Re: Passat variant gls 5spd or v70 2.4 5 spd with rica chip/ v70 2.4t auto tranny (darisgin)

quote:

Passats are made in Germany, as are Jetta Wagons; other models are made in Mexico. VW dealerships, in my experience...well...suck. I love my Passat GLX 4Mo, but of the vehicles you noted, I might go for the Volvo.
Yep, that is true. Passat and Jetta wagons are the only ones left to be produced in Germany. However, that doesn't mean that they are problem free.

darisgin, are you/were you on Club B5?

Ron

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Passat variant gls 5spd or v70 2.4 5 spd with rica chip/ v70 2.4t auto tranny (darisgin)

quote:

sorry about that, i thought that the passats were made in mexico. my bad for the false info.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: Passat variant gls 5spd or v70 2.4 5 spd with rica chip/ v70 2.4t auto tranny (Longboarder)

My $0.02 - I own a 2000 Passat 1.8T 5spd variant. I'm happy with the car's power (and a new one has 20 more hp). While the car hasn't stranded me anywhere, I've had a bunch of oil leaks and annoying trim fall-off issues. There is no doubt that the car is a great value, but as mentioned, VW dealers are no prize. (Seems some Volvo dealers aren't either - but loaners may be more common.)

After driving a V70XC for 800 miles on vacation, I greatly appreciate the wider cabin, vastly superior power seats (I don't find the Passat seats to be very comfortable), and larger cargo area of the V70. (Didn't care much for the XC tires or suspension though....) I even prefer the Volvo dash over the vaunted VW interior treatment. As for me, maybe in a year or so after the Passat is paid off I'll look for a used Certified V70T5....

Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts