SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My car is going in this morning due to some clunking sounds at low speed. I'm thinking the bushings on the lower control arms are done. My indie guy is going to have a look and let me know if it's the LCA.

Is there anything else I should have him look at or any other parts on the front suspension I should be looking to change? I had the struts done a year and a half ago.

Thanks for your advise.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi all,

My car is going in this morning due to some clunking sounds at low speed. I'm thinking the bushings on the lower control arms are done. My indie guy is going to have a look and let me know if it's the LCA.

Is there anything else I should have him look at or any other parts on the front suspension I should be looking to change? I had the struts done a year and a half ago.

Thanks for your advise.
The center nut above each strut mount loosens up a bit. Tighten as you see fit. End Links can also give you a similar clunk, but you'd notice that if you're steering wheel danced left and right while driving.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have him look at the centre nut and make sure it's tight. Good idea. He mentioned end links last time we spoke, so I'm sure he'll look at those. Steering is good...no play while driving.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks MNIWT,
My indie guy took it for a drive, put it on a lift and did an inspection and recommended the following: Right side LCA with the 3 bushings; bushings for the left LCA; end links (going with both sides); and front sway bar bushings. He did mention that there's a bit of a chatter on acceleration in 1st and 2nd on the right side. He said it may be the drive shaft and would inspect once he has the front end apart doing the other work. He also said he would check rear bearings (I asked him to) when the car is on the jack and replace if needed (which I think they do).

He's giving me all the parts at his cost. We play golf every Saturday and Sunday morning, so I'm getting the "friends" discount. I think I'm going to have to throw a few shots into the bushes to let him win a round. NOT!

I'm hoping to come out under $700 on this and have a car that feels like it use to. Pretty happy overall. This car has cost me soooo little to keep on the road (I know...knock on wood). I've had her for 9 years now and have probably only put $3K-4K in repairs into her (other than summer tires, which she chews through).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts