SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Partially armored T-5R

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Wayne T5 
#1 ·
#6 ·
I checked out the car today. The armor consists of a kevlar like material embedded in the doors, pillars, head rests and other areas, plus armored glass on the side windows. The tank has an armored shell and is filled with foam. The rear window was armored but cracked and was replaced with regular glass. The whole package apparently adds 400lb to the weight of the car. It was difficult for me to judge the acceleration as I had the owner and his wife in the car with me. It was certainly not spectacular.

As for the car itself:
.. one owner from new
.. all services done by a local shop, which presumably could provide all the records
.. clean carfax
.. the seller had paid for a pre sale inspection, and corrected various small items and carried out various maintenance tasks
.. immaculate interior 10/10
.. exterior was about a 7/10, let down by a door dent and by poorly installed air deflectors on the side windows and sun roof (they were originally glued on but are now peeling off, and probably pulling the paint of with them)
.. the fog lamps, passenger side washer jet, and passenger side headlamp wiper didn't work
.. no oil leaks anywhere
.. needs two front tires (the emergency spare was trashed)
.. the engine bay was really dirty and looked unloved, and had cobwebs in it
.. the calipers were really rusty but the rotors and pads looked ok
.. the car pulled very slightly to the left under hard braking

The owner has an S60 and so doesn't drive it anymore.

I'm going to pass on it I think. Mainly because I don't need the armor or the weight it adds.

#10 ·
I think that car's been for sale for awhile. The armor is certainly a novelty but for any other owner just makes the car slower than it needs to be.

#12 ·
T5 Manuals are very rare cars - much rarer than the S60/ V70 R. Keep looking and maybe be willing to drive or fly to find the right one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.