SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why not re ring and/or regrind as needed? Its a super long lasting engine after all. (Irv G.) Why not fix as needed. Of course inspect everything and if bores are square and clearance's are O.K. get in and get out.
I understand racing engines have needs and giving someone a warranty calls for certain level of security. I'm talking in the home garage DIY'r.

Anyone ever had a piston give up on one of theses engines?

·
1,579 Posts
I've taken pistons out in chunks, have seen a number of them holed through, and broken rings are common. In some cases I'm sure it makes sense to just hone, re-ring and replace bearing shells, but you won't know until you dig in.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I were to dig in. I see a really wide swing in gasket prices. IPD has gaskets cheap. Other places crazy high. Brands to avoid? To seek?

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I used the IPD complete gasket kit on my B20E rebuild. No problems so far. If you check, I think that VP Auto has the complete gasket sets for a lower cost. I have used both vendors and service has been very good from both. If you live outside the US IPD uses UPS and VP uses USPS for shipping. UPS basic service might be slightly faster than USPS; however, they kill you with their brokerage and handling fees. Unfortunately, that is the primary reason why I no longer shop at IPD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts