SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volvo's international website has it as an option on 2020 XC90s, but this is not the case for the USA. Any ideas if it will appear in the 2021 model year? (I am assuming the 2021 will appear in last half of 2020 and the American-made XC90 will be a 2022 mode year on sale in late 2021).

I plan on OSD next June but would do this in late August if it meant I could get a 2021 with the partial hybrid engine.

·
Registered
994 Posts
What do you mean by "partial hybrid engine"? The T8 PHEV has been out since 2016. 2020 will see a mild cosmetic refresh with increased HP from the ERAD and bigger battery with increased range. Word is 2021 will be a major refresh on the same SPA platform.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Volvo wants all their cars to be at least "partially electrified" by 2025, but as of now there is no official word when the B5 will be in the US.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you mean by "partial hybrid engine"? The T8 PHEV has been out since 2016. 2020 will see a mild cosmetic refresh with increased HP from the ERAD and bigger battery with increased range. Word is 2021 will be a major refresh on the same SPA platform.
New B5 and B6 engines:

https://www.testdriven.co.uk/2020-volvo-xc90-b5-b6-mild-hybrids/

The mild-hybrid system uses a conventional combustion engine – a 2.0-litre twin-turbo diesel in the case of the B5 with 235hp – plus a 10kW electric motor capable of delivering an additional 40Nm of torque when required.

The electric motor is powered by energy recuperated by a new brake-by-wire set-up that recovers kinetic energy during braking, storing it in a small battery.

Although economy figures haven’t been released, Volvo claims the new ‘B’ models can achieve fuel savings of up to 15%.

Emissions see a similar reduction: under the new WLTP regime, the B5 achieves CO2 emissions of 173-203 g/km depending on tyre size, compared to 211-238 g/km for the petrol-only T5.

The existing T8 Twin Engine plug-in hybrid system has also been revised and is said to offer a 15% greater range than before – up to 45 miles, in fact.

These revisions will be rolled out to other 60 and 90 series cars, while the XC60 will also be available with matching B5 petrol or diesel mild-hybrids, plus a B4 diesel mild-hybrid and B6 petrol mild-hybrid.

I hope they will come to the USA for 2021MY...

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Mild hybrid is garbage. Just glorified stop-start with a bit of e-push once underway.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
It saves some gas at least. Some braking energy is recycled, not wasted. Life of brake pads/rotors is longer. It is win-win.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It saves some gas at least. Some braking energy is recycled, not wasted. Life of brake pads/rotors is longer. It is win-win.

Exactly!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
That mild hybrid is the European way to wane customers off diesel engines. But I have been playing around the new Merc GLE and I am loving it.

·
Registered
174 Posts

Agreed!

Also, a lot of people don't seem to realize, all SPA cars already have a mild hybrid system, in terms of regenerative braking at least. It's just the new "mild hybrid" also includes the electric motor to help boost output in conjunction with the higher voltage battery system.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Mild hybrid is garbage. Just glorified stop-start with a bit of e-push once underway.
You know "best"...better than engineers who have dedicated their entire professional lives to this technology :rolleyes:

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Acura MDX Hybrid uses a set-up similar to this. It delivers an additional 7MPG in the city compared to the non-hybrid model. I wouldn't call that garbage.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Agreed!

Also, a lot of people don't seem to realize, all SPA cars already have a mild hybrid system, in terms of regenerative braking at least. It's just the new "mild hybrid" also includes the electric motor to help boost output in conjunction with the higher voltage battery system.
That is not true. What you are referring to is not really "regenerative braking" since none of that miniscule energy is connected to the drivetrain.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Agreed!

T3/T4/T5/T6 SPA cars doesn't have regenerative braking at all. The mechanical brake is applied immediately when you press down brake pedal.

If you were thinking about alternator is generating electricity while coasting, it is not regenerative braking.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Does the electric motor propel a mild hybrid?

No. The electric motor is there to assist the engine and to reduce the amount of work it needs to do.

What is the difference between a mild hybrid, a full hybrid and a plug-in hybrid?

A mild hybrid uses the electric motor to assist the combustion engine. A full hybrid has a larger electric motor and battery than a mild hybrid. A full hybrid can power the car using the electric motor for short distances and recharges its battery using the engine or through regenerative braking.

https://www.volvocars.com/us/about-volvo/human-innovation/future-of-driving/performance/mild-hybrids

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
You know "best"...better than engineers who have dedicated their entire professional lives to this technology :rolleyes:
Boeing might have the perfect job for you. Or perhaps FAA?

All in jest. (But how about returning to amber turn signals on next-gen everything?)

·
Registered
174 Posts
T3/T4/T5/T6 SPA cars doesn't have regenerative braking at all. The mechanical brake is applied immediately when you press down brake pedal.

If you were thinking about alternator is generating electricity while coasting, it is not regenerative braking.
Perhaps "regenerative braking" isn't the right term then?

But under normal warm-weather conditions, all SPA cars only charge the primary battery to ~80%.
They then selectively engage the alternator only when braking or throttle lift-off (non-mechanically, via the induced currents in the stator windings).
That "captured kinetic energy" isn't directly fed back into the drive-train, but it certainly is fed back into the car's electronics systems.

Obviously, the alternator runs regularly most of the time, as the car draws a fair few amps while running.
But for example, while on long highway drives, where the battery has had ample time to reach 80% charge, the car can then disengage the alternator and only re-connect it as required, preferably during braking.

It's unrelated to the "coasting" feature, which is basically just disengaging the torque converter (e.g. "shifting into neutral") while rolling down a hill.

So... I guess that's not exactly "regenerative braking", but it is storing what otherwise might be wasted kinetic energy, and re-using it for other systems.

Open to suggestions as what to call it. :-D

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'd call it a "smart alternator".

True regenerative braking uses captured energy for propulsion, not optimizing the 12v system.
Well... That IS what it's doing. It's trying to capture otherwise wasted kinetic energy. Just at a very small scale. Lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts