SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The grey plug that clips onto the packs.

Tell me I don't need to get a wiring harness...:facepalm:

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Not sure bump for ya.

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the bump. I called a dealer, and I don't think they quite know what I was talking about. They said it was called an insulator. So I'm assuming they were thinking the coil's boot?

I search for the connectors in general, and it seems like Audi/VW people have had loads of problems with them getting brittle and breaking, but they can get the plugs. If I can't find anything, I'll just pop the cover off and look for parts numbers.

Someone has to make it.

Otherwise, it's getting a Turbobricks style repair: zipties.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Probably a generic part which you could get new crimps and re-crimp ends on the wires and re-use the old connector. I would contact Lucky or call up someone at IPD. They "developed" the coil packs so they may have made a bench tester at some point with raw materials.

Also search some diy autotune stuff, like this http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/crimp-connector-for-ign1-or-ign1cd-p-433.html.

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably a generic part which you could get new crimps and re-crimp ends on the wires and re-use the old connector. I would contact Lucky or call up someone at IPD. They "developed" the coil packs so they may have made a bench tester at some point with raw materials.

Also search some diy autotune stuff, like this http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/crimp-connector-for-ign1-or-ign1cd-p-433.html.
That's what I was basically thinking. The Audi guys have basically just pushed the leads out of the connectors, then put them into the new ones. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In case anyone's dealing with the same crap I am, IPD is working on a service kit for the wiring harness. They haven't been able to source the connectors yet, but expect to have a kit eventually.

Looks like it's ziptie time.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Here's what I came up with. I believe you can get just the connector (insulator).

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, it is literally called an insulator. I guess that means the dealer does know what they're talking about....

Thank you both.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
And George always seems to know.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Wow, it is literally called an insulator. I guess that means the dealer does know what they're talking about....

Thank you both.
Yup yup, you'd be surprised some of the names that these parts are listed under in vida lol.

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Ugh....they're different from the ones I have in my car.

It's a slight difference, I doubt it'll be a problem, but who knows. I've already swapped the plugs to the new connector and plugged it into an OEM coil pack. It was an extremely tight fit.

Looking at where the connector plugs into the coil pack, there are four slots on the coil pack, to accept four bars from the connector. On the OEM coilpack and the original connectors, the bars/slots are offset from each other, the bottom pair being tighter together than the top pair. On the new connector, they're lined up.

I got these from the dealer, and they did a search using my VIN#.

I have a replacement engine in my car, so I matched the connector up to an old coilpack that was on my car's original engine. It's the same deal. So maybe I got the connectors for the coilpacks used in non-R models? Not sure why they'd be different.

Edit: Looks like they ordered the non R one...

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay. So both 9456341 and 9494800 are the same part. Neither work for the R.

Any one have any other ideas?

Photo evidence:

The gray one is the OEM one from the R, the black one is 9456341/9494800

:mad:

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Okay. So both 9456341 and 9494800 are the same part.
How did you figure out that 9456341 and 9494800 are the same part? Did you order both and physically compare them?

The reason I ask is that VIDA lists them as two distinct different parts and Tasca sells them for two different prices ($4.27 for 9494800 and $9.03 for 9456341, which suggests they are different.

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
How did you figure out that 9456341 and 9494800 are the same part? Did you order both and physically compare them?

The reason I ask is that VIDA lists them as two distinct different parts and Tasca sells them for two different prices ($4.27 for 9494800 and $9.03 for 9456341, which suggests they are different.
Yup. I have both here right now. They are the same part.

Edit, the only thing that's different is the packaging. I wonder if 9494800 is the 'updated' part.

Hell, even all the number markings on them are exactly the same.

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, took a trip to the dealer again. They called Volvo to look up the part number and were given #9494800 as the number. So it seems Volvo doesn't know.

One of the techs just cut me a connector off of a used harness.

So everyone, take care when changing your plugs/coils, it appears as though it may be very difficult to replace these bastards.

I'm going to contact Bosch(they make the coil and the connector) to see if they have any suggestions.

·
3,899 Posts
Updates? I'm building a brand new harness because mine is shot.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think Dave Barton sells the connector parts separate. I would drop him an email if its not on his site. He would at least know the part numbers. He sells a complete coil harness replacement if you didn't want to rebuild it yourself.

www.davebarton.com

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
If you still need the connectors, I have two new ones

1 - 20 of 24 Posts