SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thankful that the clunk out of the rear appears to be just a bushing for the pinion housing. Vadis copy on my old computer and I can't find my disk. An indie shop can do the work, but I need parts. Seems to be if you call the lone Volvo dlrshp. here and ask for the parts dept. you have to leave a voicemail that might get returned the next day! If I have part #'s I might be able to order thru the Volvo truck center. They got lotsa people there.
Anyway, I could use part #'s for any bushings holding the rear and/or the viscous coupler for my '99 V70XC.
Thanks

·
Administrator
55,890 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chris. Looks like I found one by wandering around on here. Bushing for the viscous coupling looks like #9143894 . Anyone know if there's one on the rear end housing itself? Didn't look like it from the diagram.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
OP: That is the only bushing that holds the torque tube which houses the VC. I would also buy a new screw: 985061

It is quite common that when you try to press out that bushing that the aluminum torque tube housing cracks. Just keep that in mind/hope your indy mechanic is aware of that. The housing gets a bit brittle over the years.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Big Will. Is the part you mention a screw or bolt? Over the last couple years I've replaced 2 motor mounts. Probably means all the rubber goodies are reaching the end of their lifespans. Any other bushings or mounts (besides the ones on the trailing arms) that you know of holding the rear end?
Thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's a bolt.

With removing the bushing, it would be safer to remove the center, cut the outer ring and cave it in a bit instead of pressing it out as one unit as noted, it has a potential to crack.

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
I have one and we decided we didn't need to use it.
Bought at 10% over dealer cost.
It's brand new if you want it, let me know

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for the help. Found the trick to getting help at the local Volvo dealership. Don't say you'd like to speak to someone in the parts dept., just say you'd like to ORDER some parts! Get to talk to someone right away, instead of voicemail. Helps if you have part #'s, tho. Ordered the bushing & bolt & a liter of the special gear lube for the bevel gear $60! Best since I don't know how old it is. Found a local trans shop that looked like they knew what they were doing. Changed the bushing and swapped out the bevel gear oil for $100! At least $50 less than I expected. Trans Tech is the place to go for us Canucks in central Canada.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts