SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question:

Has anyone in the history of s40 ownership EVER remembered to turn off their parking lights???

For the second time in 6 months, my neighbor knocked on my door with a "your lights have been on all night". And that's only the second time I've ever used them. :face palm:

Does anyone else use them? I like the way they look, but my battery is going to give up the ghost if I ever turn them on again - because I know I won't remember to turn them off.

Is there any software update that gives us some kind of warning from that position?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Haha yep i just made it a habit of looking back at my car when I walk away every time but i still sometimes forget them. I wish there was an option to use them but if the car is off they turn off too. O well

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Weird - with mine the lights stay on even when the car is off. That's how I get myself into trouble. No buzz, beep, or ring - just a dead battery...

Isn't it weird that such a modern car with advanced safety and driving features won't buzz when the parking lights are left on? Are they supposed to be on for "parking" for short times? I just don't get it. I'm doing something wrong. :D

·
Registered
658 Posts
There has to be somekind of checkbox in the software program that will allow a beep when you exit your car--like leaving your keys in the ignition. A really bad engineering design if this isn't possible. When I first got my S40 I left my parking lights on. Woke up the next morning and it was dead. AAA saved me but it was troublesome and embarrassing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are they designed to be used for short periods of time while you're out of the car? I think I just don't quite understand how they were intended to be used. There must be something I'm missing, right?

Sort of like why we have one rear fog light - at first I thought something was wrong with my wiring. Now I get that it illuminates the driver side of the car to help distinguish it from the tail/brake lights.

What can I learn about the 'parking' lights that will put my mind at ease?

·
Registered
453 Posts
See: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?173197-So-there-is-no-way-to-trick-the-system-to-have-the-lights-off-on-the-off-position&p=1893549&viewfull=1#post1893549

No vehicle shall be driven at any time with the parking lamps lighted except when the lamps are being used as turn signal lamps or when the headlamps are also lighted.
It's illegal to drive with just your parking lights on. You don't get a warning after parking and leaving them on because that's what they're designed for: to remain running after you park.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the link to that thread. Shame on me for not finding it - or even googling 'parking lights' - in the first place. I'm really bad with the forum search here on SS. And I think I even read that thread when it was active!

I don't think I've ever seen a car parked on the side of the road with their parking lights on. Ever. That's wild.

Just FYI - when I left mine on, it was for probably 15+ hours and it barely (and thankfully) cranked. So most are right in thinking they can last for quite a while. But I'm pretty sure I was getting close to the upper limit. Don't try 16. :) Am I doing permanent damage to my battery to run it so low like that?

Parking lights - you learn something new every day.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
haha, I run mine exclusively during the day since I wired up some halos to the parking/city light circuit. It's become habit, so I always remember to tun them off.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Are you leaving the light switch in the 1 position? This is from the manual;

Parking lights

The front and rear parking lights can be turned on even when the ignition is switched off.
Turn switch (1) to position .

The license plate lights also illuminate when the parking lights are switched on.

Hope this helps
delhi

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Why not simply drive with the normal lights on!? I mean even with standard factory xenon lights, they won't die... Mine held 80k miles until one starting flickering. New bulbs and all fine again. So if you're worried about wear and tear no need to be so!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Personally, I find looking at cars driving around with headlights on IN THE DAYTIME...a little stupid. If people can't see my car in broad daylight...then they shouldn't be on the road. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but headlights are for night and dark periods where being seen is helpful (rain downpour, cloudy & thunderstorms, etc.)--not in broad daylight, where the weather is perfectly fine. But over the years, headlights have become the "look at my car! Isnt't it superawesome?!!!111"

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Personally, I find looking at cars driving around with headlights on IN THE DAYTIME...a little stupid. If people can't see my car in broad daylight...then they shouldn't be on the road. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but headlights are for night and dark periods where being seen is helpful (rain downpour, cloudy & thunderstorms, etc.)--not in broad daylight, where the weather is perfectly fine. But over the years, headlights have become the "look at my car! Isnt't it superawesome?!!!111"
Well, take a road through a forrest then. In bright sunlight driving in and out of the shade of trees. See it gone see it gone see it gone...

Volvo has always had the possibility to have the lights on (when ignition is on) without having to touch the switch. This goes back around 30-40 years. It has nothing to do with stupidity. People say "I didn't see you" when they take your right of way. Research and statistics here (Germany) have proven, that with lights on, less accidents happen. But then again, we drive faster ;)

The problem is aswell: when is it time for your lights? When te sun is above the horizon? When it is below the horizon? When it is on the horizon? When you can see the moon? When you can't see anything? When you find it hard to see? There is no possibility to say to people when it is exactly(!) the right time for headlights on. If so, they would have to set a law regarding the correct lux intensity... Meaning either automatic lights or in general a light indicating the brightness. Easiest way around is: lights on permenantly.

Depends on which leg you are standing if you ask me. I personally will always have my headlights on when driving, and I neither need glasses nor do I have a problem recognising the difference between a car and a tree.

·
Registered
453 Posts
DRLs should be mandatory in the US. Just because it's daytime doesn't mean there's light everywhere, as daim pointed out. Whenever there are massive rain/thunder storms, I feel like 1 out of every 10 cars that I pass doesn't have their lights on, and especially when you go onto the highway and visibility is severely reduced due to the rain, it's almost impossible to see the cars that aren't illuminated (until they slam on their brakes for no reason and cause a massive pile up).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi, when changing the rear position bulb today I've noticed that it's got two filaments, but the bigger (curled) filament is never on.
My assumption is that the bigger one is for parking lights, but then again, I can't switch them on.
I've tried every position of the light switch and ignition, with car running, key in II, I, 0 positions and key not in ignition. Only the thinner filament is lighting.
So my question is: are parking lights the same thing as position lights? If not, how can I turn on the parking lights?
P.S. Mine's got ABL, though, I don't think it makes any difference for the rear lights.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Answering my question: yes, position and parking lights is the same thing and there's no way to turn on the bigger filament in that lamp. The socket has only one contact for 5W filament. Now another question is why volvo uses two filamented bulb there – is it so that a bulb with this base doesn't exist in single 5W filament variant? (there is for sure the P21W – same base, but only 21W filament).

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Lighting in these cars are rather different between markets, it's hard to say exactly. It's possible the bulb has different functions elsewhere. German cars require a one-sided parking light, there'a rear fog light function in others, etc. They change from year to year, too. Does your owner's manual have any info? Those usually have the best information for lighting in my epxerience.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mine is actually a German one, but it hasn't got one-sided parking light, only the rear fog on the port side.
The only difference I've found between car's german manual and the english one I've downloaded lighting-wise concerned the Emergency brake light, which in my car should not come on with speeds lower that 10 kph, whereas in english manual the value is 30 kph.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts