SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My driver's side parking/ driving LED lamp (what is this light actually called?) has a crack in it and has stopped working. I think a pick-up truck backed into my XC60 while I was out downtown earlier this week. Miraculously, it doesn't look like the paintwork around the LED or the headlamp or the grille were at all damaged. That's a good thing.

Anyway, I found the replacement on Rock Auto and was wondering if replacing this lamp is a DIY job or if I need a bodyshop. I haven't popped the hood yet to see how this LED mounts, but I'm worried the entire bumper cover has to come off to get at the mounting screws.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=5909241&cc=1505581&jnid=454&jpid=0

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I had a chance to pop to hood today and take a look. Unfortunately, it looks like the entire bumper cover has to come off to get at this lamp. I'm now considering submitting this to my insurance company.

Can anyone tell me how much labor time a body shop would charge to remove and reinstall the bumper cover? I'm guessing that labor is going to considerably drive up the cost of replacing this $75 lamp.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
If it's any comfort I think the bumpers are very easy to remove. Bunch of clips on the top and a bunch of screws at the bottom. If it's even necessary, that is. What does the manual say about this light? Anything? Nothing?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't see anything noted in the owner's manual about this particular light. I'm guessing replacement wasn't covered there because Volvo believed it would last the life of the vehicle.... which it probably would have if someone hadn't backed into my car. :mad:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looks like a rock managed to hit it
I guess that makes more sense than my theory since there isn't any other damage. I only assumed that it was a parking blunder because I was parallel parked behind a modestly-lifted pickup on the night before I noticed the damage. I figured the height of the lifted-truck's bumper would have been high-enough to clear my bumper and crack this lamp.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I didn't see anything noted in the owner's manual about this particular light. I'm guessing replacement wasn't covered there because Volvo believed it would last the life of the vehicle.... which it probably would have if someone hadn't backed into my car. :mad:
This is the closest "how-to" that I have come across on the web to replace the LED parking light. There is a post in the middle that vaguely describes it, but the OP's post at the end is a little better, and makes it seem like it should not be too hard at all. If you do it, definitely do a brief "how-to" with some pics. -The interwebz will forever be grateful, and a Mod can slap it in the sticky. http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=206149

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the link, Slipperyb. FWIW, the dealer's body shop quoted me $625.44 PLUS tax to replace this LED. I laughed and declined the repair.

I'm not comfortable removing the bumper cover myself so I asked around and found a local Volvo aficionado that might be willing to undertake the repair. If that doesn't work out, I'll just submit it to my insurance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had to replace my drivers side led lite last week. Same thing happened to mine, cracked by a rock. I just removed the main head light housing and popped out the plastics clips At the bumper and used a torx screwdriver to remove the screw holding the led light. With a little bit of prying out on the plastic the led came out very easy.. New one popped right back in. I would think anyone with a little bit of patients could do this.

I did not have to remove any bumper. Just pulled on it to access the led light. Only removal was the head light, which was very easy.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Success! I found a Volvo whisperer through a colleague at work who was willing to try the repair. He was able to replace the light for me yesterday and mentioned no hardships. He mentioned that he had an S60R so I bet he's on Swedespeed. He's a great guy that I'll certainly keep in mind for future repairs.

While looking at the new driver's side LED, I noticed that the LED on the passenger's side has moisture in it. It isn't cracked and still works but COME ON. I can't win...

:angryfire::angryfire::angryfire:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts