SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems the parking brake on my XC is on its way out...

Parking on an uphill results in a 'grinding' noise - basically like the noise cars make when you are releasing the brakes normally, but with an additional gear-like clicking sound - while the car rolls back a bit to "find a groove," so to speak.

This used to be an infrequent occurrence in the past (i.e. when it was heavily loaded), though it's been happening every time for the last day or two.

It has also been parked on an uphill for the past two years straight, and this only happens on that very uphill. The "hill-holder" function works well, though.

Basically, my question is this: is three years too soon for the rear brakes (or parts of them) to need replacement?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any thoughts? How long have your parking brakes held up? All of them in my other cars have lasted much longer than only three years...

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
If you normally park uphill, you stop and restart with more body weight, than if level or downhill, "transferred" to the rear. This means your rear brakes get a more than normal duty. We had to rebuild my neighbor's brakes on the rear at under 100k miles ... and he has no such uphill parking. Even so, it is difficult to suggest what others might experience ... there is so much variation due to driving styles, terrain, etc, etc.

But if you hear grinding ... something needs attention!

·
Registered
668 Posts
The other possibility is that the parking brake drums have become rusted and that they need to be polished. I would pull one of the rear disks and look at the parking brake drum to see if they have heavy surface corrosion, if it does and your shoes still look new then I would d try using a wire brush and some sand paper to knock the rust off the drum, repeat on the other side. While you are there you may want to use some compressed air, brake cleaner to knock all the dust/ rust out of the area. While it is possible that you have worn out the parking brake shoes, I doubt it unless you like to use the parking break to stop the vehicle when maneuvering into a parking spot (bad habit of mine when I have a hand parking brake and a clutch, not a problem on my xc90).

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies!

It's all been normal usage, with a very steep parking space. On noticeably-flatter uphills, as well as on level ground, there is no grinding noise nor rollback: the parking brake works perfectly in these cases.

Nevertheless, I've got it parked on a more level space until I can get things checked out.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I almost never use my parking brake, just because I'm always parked on mostly flat ground. Nevertheless, there was a terrible grinding noise that started in the rear of the XC, so I assumed it was the bearing going. Surprise, surprise to find out it's actually the parking brake pads which had separated and were grinding inside the drum. As suggested, it's possible that one or both pads have let go or become degraded and this is what's causing the noise. It wasn't terribly expensive to have my Indy do the work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts