SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

(Excuse me if this has already been addressed elsewhere; I searched and couldn't find it.)

The parking brake on my '07 S60 T5 M6 has a funny way of holding the car that I have never encountered on another vehicle.

When the car is facing downhill and I pull the lever, the brake stops the car from rolling exactly where it sits. However, when the car is facing uphill and I pull the lever, the car rolls back a few degrees on its wheels before the brake engages. I often parallel park on hills and use the parking brake to hold the car in position during tight maneuvers, so this can be unnerving.

Otherwise, the brake holds the car just fine. I know that the parking brakes in these cars are a weakness, but I am wondering if there is some kind of adjustment that can fix this problem. Alternatively, does this strike anyone as a failure mode that calls for brake replacement? The car has about 64K miles and has been inspected overall (though not by taking the hubs apart to look at the parking brakes) by the dealer and an indie shop, who found nothing amiss.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Besides the terrible design(so they say), the only inherent weakness is the friction material delaminating from the parking shoe. My car had it, along with many Rs, but they have fixed it by 07... who knows.

If i am parking on a hill i always ease off on the footbrake to keep from putting a shock load on the parking brakes.

The only adjustment i'm aware of is the adjustment for how high you have to pull up the ebrake lever.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
The only adjustment i'm aware of is the adjustment for how high you have to pull up the ebrake lever.
There is a spring loaded adjuster in the handbrake lever, you'll need to remove the leather boot to see the mechanism. I believe a 8mm wrench will be able to adjust the cable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If i am parking on a hill i always ease off on the footbrake to keep from putting a shock load on the parking brakes.
I'm not sure what you mean by "shock load." I do let off the brake pedal slowly in these cases. If I am making a tight parallel parking job on a hill, I don't want the car to lurch into another vehicle if the parking brake doesn't hold.

In every other vehicle I have ever driven, if I am holding the car with the brake pedal, I can apply the handbrake and the vehicle will stay exactly where it is. In my S60, this works when the car is inclined to roll forward, but when it is inclined to roll backward, it shifts position a little after the brake is applied when the brake pedal is released. It's almost as though the parking brake were grabbing the hub at an angle, so that it has some play to roll backward, but not forward. Is that even possible, since the shoes are concentric with the hub? I could take it apart, but since it otherwise works normally, I would rather save that job for a time when I am certain that something needs to be changed.

·
Banned
1,515 Posts
If you are not familiar with the design of the parking brake it can be odd. These cars (along with your S60) use a shoe type parking brake located inside the rear brake rotor. Much like the drum brakes of the older generation cars, they rotate when applied. The shoes are in a natural position when rotating forward and not so much when going backwards. You may need to adjust them internally to help this but there may also be hardware wear so I would have them inspected. They rarely need replacing as they should only be applied while parked but we all know that isn't always the case. The friction material is bonded to the shoe and not riveted so they (the lining) can come off with age.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts