SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a GT R and never use the parking brake. Drove the car yesterday for the first time in probably two months. Went to back it out of the garage and pass side rear wheel was locked. Rocked it back and forth and literally dragged it out of the garage and then it loosened up a bit. Drove it a little bit last night and noticed that side was much warmer than the other. Sounds like the typical parking brake issue but I literally never use it, so was surprised it rusted to the rotor when not even engaged. Anybody else experience the parking brake problem when never used? Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I normally use the parking brake, and a couple weeks ago I had this exact problem. It was really strange since the car was only sitting (in a flat parking lot, with the brake on as usual) for a couple days, but it has sat for much longer and not stuck. That and it hadn't rained during the time it was sitting so I don't understand how it could rust unless it's just that humid out, which is entirely possible.

I am taking the car in for a service next week and told them to look at the parking brake. So if I find out anything useful I'll post it here

·
Registered
473 Posts
Parking brakes in this car are terrible!! I actually have removed them completely from my car right now. ( I am a automatic). Just search parking brake in the r forum and u will be amazed! I highly suggest taking it apart cause chances are the pads are delaminated. If left ypu will destroy your wheel hub like I did!!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Use OEM shoes only, when you repair. Aftermarket shoes will not hold the car on an incline.

·
Registered
14,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've parked the car until I can install new shoes that have been ordered. Should be here this week.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I just checked mine yesterday as I was hearing a noise that could have been the p brake, thankfully it wasn't. They are easy to check. My parts come in this week and even though i don't need them yet I will keep them until I replace pads and probably rotors this year. It is too cheap to replace and not worry about. I ordered retainers with my shoes from Tasca, but fcp sells a kit with retainers and tensioners for much cheaper. I would stay OEM with shoes but go with the kit for hardware. Tasca is charging about 5 bucks per spring.

Take off the wheel, remove the caliper (pads can stay in), hang caliper with string or zip tie, remove 10mm bolt on face of rotor (can't miss it), remove rotor.....and you are there.

You may have to bang on the rotor a bit to bring it loose. Use only a rubber or sand filled mallet for this, no metal or small sledges to the rotor. Lol. I always hit the center of the rotor where the studs go in first, if you are lucky that will do it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I recently finished replacing the shoes and springs for mine.

I was experiencing something similar. Shoes would rust the wheels frozen. Had to rock to break them loose. Knew I was well overdue to replace pads. (Looking back, I also should have realized that the springs had weakened so much over time that the shoes were not consistently retracting.) Shortly after ordering new shoes, one of my existing delaminated. Driving forward produced a grinding sound and reverse was good for a few inches before jamming up. Parked it and there it sat for the last month and a half. Last week, went to replace the shoes and after a long fight, the rotors eventually came off, but took the shoes out with them on one side, destroying the springs. Left the car on stands for a week while the new springs came in. Cleaned up rust, buttoned everything back up and it sounds and feels great, no more breaking the parking break loose from time to time. Bonus: 1 less rattle that I had falsely attributed to suspension.

Learn from my mistakes. If you have even the slightest bit of trouble from your e-brake, don't procrastinate. The job is too cheap and easy to put off. Don't cheap out and reuse the springs. Even if you manage to not destroy them while pulling the old shoes, the springs have weakened over time and the difference between old springs and new springs is drastic, and you'll save a TON of time by cutting the old springs out.

Oh, and if your rotors see rust frequently or you're prone to pulling your ebrake for fun, wear a mask to avoid inhaling that crap and the nasty rusty-dusty snot that follows

·
Registered
65 Posts
GREAT, I just bought the aftermarket ones from iPd
Don't worry about it. I'm running the same aftermarket shoes and they hold fine on inclines and against the engine under load. Just required re-adjusting the cable once everything was done. Adjustments are done at a nut under the leather boot on the handle.

Not sure what the proper procedure is for adjusting it, but if you also pop the bottom of the center console out(the compartment intended to hold CD cases) you can access the yoke where the single cable comes from the handle and becomes 2 cables going to the wheels. Pull the brake handle up as far as you can, and jam something in between the cables. You can now lower the handle with no tension on it, allowing you to pop the adjustment bolt upward, making adjustment of the nut easier.

·
Registered
14,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GREAT, I just bought the aftermarket ones from iPd
I ordered the shoes and hardware from napaonline. I read the several threads on the subject and one of them used the napa parts that worked okay so we'll see.

I have read enough horror stories about exploding hubs so the car is parked until I get the parts and can do the repair this weekend. I have done this repair on my old S70 so it shouldn't be too different than that.

·
Registered
14,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Same thing happened to me. Ended taking off the rotor.. While taking off the rotor I heard a snap. then everything was back to normal. Hasn't happened since.

here is my thread:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?160018-Rear-pads-replaced-Help-with-problem!
I remember reading your thread a month ago and I just experienced the same thing, though I only dragged mine like 6-7 feet before it broke free or maybe I should say somewhat free. That said, the rotor is still getting super hot, much hotter than the driver side after only driving a short distance so I've parked it until this weekend. Nice having four cars but now two of them are out of commission!

·
Registered
14,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Replaced the parking brake shoes this morning. Took me about two hours and was well within my (meager) mechanical skills. Three of the four shoes had delaminated so I'm lucky it didn't cause any more damage. Hardest part was removing the large retaining spring. Rotors actually came off pretty easy. Got the parts from napaonline, delivered to the house in a few days for $80. Put it all back together and adjusted the cable a little bit and they work fine.

Just another reminder to all out there who have over 50k miles on your car, which is most of us, don't delay in getting this done. If you are unsure if they were ever done, err on the conservative side and just do it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.