SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and didn't come up with much.

I bought my 04 MT S60R about 6 months ago and the parking brake has been pretty much non existent from day 1 of my ownership and I am ready to get it fixed.

The handle itself doesn't click on different positions like every other parking brake on my previous cars and even when fully DIS-engaged the handle is loose and still wiggles up and down freely. Even when the handle is pulled up and "engaged" the parking brake doesn't hold the car in place when in neutral.

I am trying to order all the parts needed to get this fixed but I don't know much about parking brakes and have never had to replace one. Based on the above description if you guys can give me some feedback on what I will need to order that would be great.

Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My game plan was to order everything OEM from Tasca... I just don't know if I should order and replace every aspect of the parking brake set up or if that might not be needed. May be impossible to tell from my description I just thought it would be worth a shot...

·
Registered
844 Posts
Okay, I went though the whole thing and fixed my e-brake.

1) parking brake cable replacement
2) only OEM Genuine Volvo shoes are needed
3) adjustment is under the leather boot, under a brown plastic cover
4) do yourself a favor and buy a hardware kit (all springs)
5) lube the expanders
6) clean the inside of the rotor well (this is the contact point of the shoe and rotor)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
So the handle doesn't stay up/click at all? If so then the mechanism could be stripped or faulty. If not then I would check the adjustment screw as someone may have loosened it all the way to keep the shoes from dragging and eventually destroying the hubs. Or maybe that already happened :0....jk. Best bet is to get the rotors of and see if the handle is engaging the shoes. Good luck.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Volvodrummer- I should have said it clicks towards the top but still doesn't grab much and then when fully released it doesn't click to a "down and off position"

It doesn't feel like it is even grabbing until the top few positions.

My plan was to order everything Ari951 suggested. Just wanted to make sure I have everything so it can done and fully functional for the long haul.

·
Registered
386 Posts
yes, it clicks.

there is a gear with smallish teeth, maybe 20-30 if i remember right. Just had it apart this spring.

So, there is a 10mm nut under the e barke boot that sets the tention on the cable. If this nut was loosened all the way, you would not be able to put enoght tention on the rear parking brake shoes / springs, thus making the parking brake not work, regardless of the clicks.

so you have 2 areas to look at for the fix....

1- either the previous owner tried to do a parking brake service and f-up the rear spreings / expanders (very easy to do, they are a pain in the ass) instead of fixing it correctly, they just left the e brake parts out

2- the 10mm nut under the boot is just way backed down and needs to be tightened.

I would be your problem is both, bcause you have to losen the 10mm nut in order to service the e brakes.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
yes, it clicks.

there is a gear with smallish teeth, maybe 20-30 if i remember right. Just had it apart this spring.

So, there is a 10mm nut under the e barke boot that sets the tention on the cable. If this nut was loosened all the way, you would not be able to put enoght tention on the rear parking brake shoes / springs, thus making the parking brake not work, regardless of the clicks.

so you have 2 areas to look at for the fix....

1- either the previous owner tried to do a parking brake service and f-up the rear spreings / expanders (very easy to do, they are a pain in the ass) instead of fixing it correctly, they just left the e brake parts out

2- the 10mm nut under the boot is just way backed down and needs to be tightened.

I would be your problem is both, bcause you have to losen the 10mm nut in order to service the e brakes.
^ Essentially what he said. If you order all the parts and springs, follow a good how-to/DIY from here, and adjust the cable tension properly(read: not TOO tight. You don't want the shoes dragging all the time) the only other thing that could hang you up would be a broken cable, which would be plain to see. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts