SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Reason number something why I hate parking in NY.

Exhibit 1: four perfect impressions of the screws holding someone’s front plate in.

I’m guessing there’s just nothing to do about it other than just learn to live with it. It’s not like I’m going to replace the bumper cover over this. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
Probably done intentionally. I know all about NYC and I'm going there on Friday.

Things that "work:"
1. For the rear bumper, affix a tow hitch. That's about the only thing that would be good there. Maybe, maybe, a Bumper Guard but those look dumb.
2. For the front bumper, a car bra, which most probably won't do either.

Park far away from other cars, though in NYC that might or might not work.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Were you on the street? For the few times we do to to the city, we pay for parking no matter the cost. It's worth it for my sanity. Not saying a parking garage is a fail safe, but I feel my odds are better there than the street.

·
Registered
13,462 Posts

I’m guessing there’s just nothing to do about it other than just learn to live with it. It’s not like I’m going to replace the bumper cover over this. Any thoughts?
[/QUOTE]

Could try living with it but a body shop should be able to fill those divots, repaint, and blend the entire bumper I would imagine for cheaper than replacing the cover.

I've had plenty of "shunts" parking in the City and like was suggested only use garages now when I need to park there. Still not going to prevent damage but at least you have some recourse against the garage. I've filled out a few claims and the garage's insurance company (or the garage itself) has always paid. NY is about the most unforgiving place for cars.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just hate parking in the city. I feel like most of the parking lots are so tight I’m scared to navigate them without scraping something. Park on the street and this happens.

When I was younger I would probably have paid to replace the cover. I guess I could look into the body shop.

I have this horrible luck with cars, unfortunately. If I ever do anything particularly nice for them like fix this, something else bad immediately happens to reinforce the inevitability of entropy.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I live in CT and grew up on Long Island and my father has worked in the city for my entire life (I'm 33 y/o). Only way to prevent this is to take the train. Seeing as you're out of the Tri-state area, that's not really a great option probably. Best chance of minimizing the chances of this is to park in a garage, but even that's not a great option. I also don't like other people driving my cars, so I'm a little biased. I'd go talk to a body shop and see what they can do. Worth the conversation at a minimum. I had someone do this to my last car and I got over after a little while. Still annoyed me, but wasn't worth the cost to get it fixed.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Probably done intentionally. I know all about NYC and I'm going there on Friday.
Sweet generalization from a bridge and tunnel’er

Done intentionally? Why on earth would you suppose that?

Unless the OP parked like a dick or blocked a spot, why would anybody do that intentionally?

Sounds like NYC must be a scary place for you

·
Registered
220 Posts
That's how parking in NYC is. The only exception is SI. It's more like the suburbs. Those rear bumper protectors only looks dumb if you leave it out when driving. Let it out after you park and put it back in the trunk when your not.

Street parking spots are so limited in some neighborhoods that you will see cars, SUVS, trucks, Vans, etc try to fit into a spot they can't fit but somehow was able to fit. I have seen, on multiple occasions, where the driver would play bumper cars with the car in the front and the car in the back just to fit. I have also seen situations where the spot is big but somehow the driver is still able to tap both cars when parking. If you need to park in a garage, try to look for those where you self park, which is rare. I know the Chinatown in Manhattan has a automated parking garage. Not sure if it's still there. I haven't been in a while and if I do travel to Manhattan, it's always by public transportation.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
You guys have no idea how good you have it ;-)
Parking in NYC or Chicago is child's play, compared to Milan or Paris. Your bumper was scratched? I am happy when I find my car still there...

Jokes aside, it does suck. If you live in a place like that, you learn to live with it. If you are there occasionally.... garages are always a good idea.

·
Registered
298 Posts

Reason number something why I hate parking in NY.

Exhibit 1: four perfect impressions of the screws holding someone’s front plate in.

This happened to me over the weekend, but I have the OEM hitch cover preventing the other car's license plate screws touching my bumper. That car's license plate was touching my hitch cover. Street Parking are very limited in NYC, and you can see a lot of people have this attached to their car rear bumpers:

s-l1600.jpg

Even in parking garages, the spaces are so tight that the car's door next to yours can easily hit your car door when they open their car doors recklessly. My car's driver side exhaust tip was hit while parking in a parking lot. It's very hard to avoid bumper scratches and you will get used to it if you park in the the city very often.

·
Registered
188 Posts
So I live in NJ and go into the city on occasion - when I do go, I pay for garage parking for just this reason. I'd never park on the street in any car I cared about. With that said, the idea of putting the hitch on the car is a good one. I've got an invisihitch, so I could just grab the hitch out of my trunk and put it on. I'll keep that in mind if I ever end up in that situation.

FWIW - I wouldn't say it was done "intentionally," but rather it's much more acceptable to slightly bump-park in NYC. It's like flashing your high-beams at the slow-pokes in the left lane...Some consider it bad taste, but it's still done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts