SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having seemingly exhausted every place I'm willing to send money to I've chosen to go in a different direction with my parking lights on the grill of my 142S

Automotive lighting Yellow Amber Orange Auto part

Destroyed by UV the white latex rubber housing is hard, shrunken and disintegrating.

Wood Plywood

With a new lens, I trace out its shape about 3/32" larger onto 1/4" acrylic sheet, trim with the bandsaw and shape it using the Rockwell Finisher.

Metal Blade

Holes come next, also a slot in the center.

Pink

Double stick 1/8" UV stabilized high pigment PVC sheet and drill out material for routing.

To next post....

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
And to continue.

Tool Cutting tool Pliers Lineman's pliers

Cemented a strip on the back and clamped it to create a curve since the lens isn't flat. (Note this bend is backward, I corrected it before the cement set, but didn't photograph it.)

Font Plastic

Drilled a 9/16" hole for the LED light. (The slot/inset is so the end of the LED doesn't hit the Volvo amber lens.)

Orange Fender

Pressed in.

Orange Automotive lighting Light Amber Automotive side marker light

And lit. No more searching for parts and it's largely a permanent retrofit. -
(Next try :) )

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
The attachments come up as invalid. I have on occasion had that same problem with attachments. The fix is to edit and remove the links in the post and then reload the attachment.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The attachments come up as invalid. I have on occasion had that same problem with attachments. The fix is to edit and remove the links in the post and then reload the attachment.
Weird, is there some kind of hourly restriction on how many images one can post? After a minor edit, they finally show now.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
That is a nice solution.

As an alternative, there are pourable rubber compounds typically used for making casts. If you make a sand cast of your original bucket you could probably use those compounds to fabricate a reasonable reproduction of the bucket. Your solution is definitely not as messy!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Having seemingly exhausted every place I'm willing to send money to I've chosen to go in a different direction with my parking lights on the grill of my 142S

Destroyed by UV the white latex rubber housing is hard, shrunken and disintegrating.
Sorry, I’m late to this party. Are you looking for the rubber gasket with cup-shaped pocket for the parking light assemblies? I have a pair you could have. They are dirty but serviceable if you’re interested. Here’s a pic from Scandcar of the part I’m talking about:

Glasses Personal protective equipment Plastic

·
Registered
199 Posts
These are unobtanium. I have been looking for a set in the condition shown for over a year now.

Sorry, I’m late to this party. Are you looking for the rubber gasket with cup-shaped pocket for the parking light assemblies? I have a pair you could have. They are dirty but serviceable if you’re interested. Here’s a pic from Scandcar of the part I’m talking about:

View attachment 54615

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
In a pinch, you can rehab an older set of the boots by spraying them with multiple coats of Plasti-Dip. Smooths out the surface so it looks better and the Ptasti-Dip is soft so it helps seal the light. The boot will likely be hard and inflexible and the Plasti-Dip will do nothing to fix that - very much a 'Botox' cosmetic treatment for the boots.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts