SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do most of you use Park Assist Pilot? If not, why not?

We expect to receive our car in 2 weeks. Park Assist Pilot is a feature we look forward to using.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I use it if I am in slow moving traffic. It works quite well if the traffic is moving (and keep in mind if it goes over 30mph it will kick off) but if traffic is stop and go, after stopping even for a relative short stop (2-3 seconds) the system requires you to tap the gas pedal to begin moving again. That's my biggest gripe with it quite honestly. Stop and go traffic can have traffic stop for more than just a second or two and this is where people would love this feature. If they would allow for it to hold the brake longer once stopped, say 5-10 seconds at least and then continue to move when traffic moves again, it would be really great.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think the OP was referring to active park assist rather than pilot assist but the subject line makes it a little confusing.

The park assist works but as stated in previous posts the perpendicular parking is only active if there are vehicles on either side of the available space, and only works when backing into a spot. Makes sense since most people should know how to get into a perpendicular space nose first.

I only wish the park assist feature were a physical button that was selectable on the dash rather than having to swipe right on the screen, then clicking parallel or perpendicular before the system becomes active.

I personally only use parallel assist as perpendicular parking into a spot in reverse is pretty easy/faster to do myself especially with the 360 camera.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Ahh yes, I believe you are correct. I saw pilot and my mind went straight to the pilot assist. Oh well, that's how I feel about pilot assist then, lol.

I grew up and learned to drive in NYC so I find it easier and a heck of a lot quicker to just park in any situation myself so I have never really used the park assist.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Btw I agree with you 100% on your pilot assist evaluation Paradox.

As far as parallel assist, not growing up in NYC and in suburbia where I loved free valet parking, I find parallel assist invaluable for trying to avoid rim damage.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
In NYC, I guess parking space is so small that the car will not be able to find any spot. :)

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
absolut01:
I was referring to Park Assist Pilot (p. 308 of online manual). NOT to Park Assist (p. 296) or Park Assist Camera (p. 301). The names are so similar, it is confusing.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Do most of you use Park Assist Pilot? If not, why not?
I have not received my XC90 yet, but I don't plan on using Park Assist Pilot for several reasons: 1) I know how to parallel park (very well); 2) I haven't seen any reviews or posts that indicate this is a consistently useful feature. It is something my wife will consider using, however I have hesitation as it might do more harm than good if she blindly relies on it. I think the 360 camera and parking sensors will be more than enough to help her park this relatively large vehicle.

·
Registered
180 Posts
absolut01:
I was referring to Park Assist Pilot (p. 308 of online manual). NOT to Park Assist (p. 296) or Park Assist Camera (p. 301). The names are so similar, it is confusing.
So I don't have the manual in front of me, but my comment above would apply for the feature where you take your hands off the physical wheel and the car steers itself into the space while the driver controls the speed and gear position.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
In NYC, I guess parking space is so small that the car will not be able to find any spot. :)

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk
No.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I don't have the manual in front of me, but my comment above would apply for the feature where you take your hands off the physical wheel and the car steers itself into the space while the driver controls the speed and gear position.
Yes, we are talking about the same thing. Parking with hands off the steering wheel is what I was referring to.

My question is: When parallel parking, does Park Assist Pilot require a larger space than when a driver controls the steering himself?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I live in NYC and I use park assist pilot often. I've posted about this before. I find it very easy to use since the option to use it pops up when you switch into reverse, as I do 90% of the time before parking. I'll often hit the 'park in' button and if it has the spot I want in its sights, I let it park. When it does have the spot in sight, I find it extremely accurate and it can park itself into some tight spots and get me a comfortable distance from the curb. If it doesn't detect the right spot immediately, I just begin to park myself and sometimes it finds the spot halfway through parking and I let it take over. Sometimes it just doesn't want to lock onto the spot I want and I just park myself. I think I actually use it close to 50% of the time I park.

There is often not a clear reason for its refusal to sense a spot. If anything I think it might have trouble when the spot is too big. Also stuff like an empty plastic bag in the street (heart NYC) can seem like an obstacle to it. All in all I think its very useful and since I know how to park I can very easily monitor it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I live in NYC and I use park assist pilot often. I've posted about this before. I find it very easy to use since the option to use it pops up when you switch into reverse, as I do 90% of the time before parking. I'll often hit the 'park in' button and if it has the spot I want in its sights, I let it park. When it does have the spot in sight, I find it extremely accurate and it can park itself into some tight spots and get me a comfortable distance from the curb. If it doesn't detect the right spot immediately, I just begin to park myself and sometimes it finds the spot halfway through parking and I let it take over. Sometimes it just doesn't want to lock onto the spot I want and I just park myself. I think I actually use it close to 50% of the time I park.

There is often not a clear reason for its refusal to sense a spot. If anything I think it might have trouble when the spot is too big. Also stuff like an empty plastic bag in the street (heart NYC) can seem like an obstacle to it. All in all I think its very useful and since I know how to park I can very easily monitor it.
Happy to read your positive report.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
My experiences are similar - works very well when it finds the spot, but I also seem to have a problem when the spot is too big. But in that case, I usually just park it myself as the system is most useful getting into tight spots that I normally wouldn't try myself.

·
Registered
111 Posts
any experience using it in perpendicular situations? my work garage has very narrow slots so this would be a big help.

does it require cars on either side and/or some minimum width to work?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Perpendicular works very well - always right dead-center in the spot.

Not sure if it requires cars on both sides - have typically just parked it myself in that situation. The system is always managing widths - if it can fit and give room to allow you to exit vehicle - it can park there.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I've used it a few times to perpendicular park, it seems to center the vehicle between 2 cars, and will completely ignore the painted lines. So, if a car is off, your parking will be no better. Because of this, I don't use it as much as I'd like. Look at that, they're already trying to sell me on the next Volvo!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi everyone,

I noticed the system always just looks for parking spaces to the right of vehicle. Is there anyway to set the system up to look for parking spots on the left as well in perpendicular parking situations in parking lots where there is parking on both sides?

·
Registered
148 Posts
My question is: When parallel parking, does Park Assist Pilot require a larger space than when a driver controls the steering himself?
That depends on how good of a driver you are.
It's been awhile since I read the manual, you could check these numbers yourself in your own manual, but I believe it can park in a spot 1.2x the length of the car, which I calculated at about 3 feet longer than the car. Meaning 1.5 ft of space on each end of the car. That's pretty darn good and way better than many drivers can do.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts