SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2012 T6 for about 4 months now, and the park assist is quite handy. However, I'm puzzled about it's behaviour...

Why does the FRONT park assist come on when the car is in reverse? If I pull in to a parking spot, and it's close to a car in front of me (or a wall), the front park assist starts to beep. This is what it's supposed to do. However, when I get back in the car, and put it in REVERSE, I hear the warning beeps, not knowing it from the FRONT park assist sensors? My immediate thought is that I'm about to back into something, until I look at the console and see that it's the front assist going off.

The same thing happens if I'm pulling out of a spot while in Drive. The REAR park assist goes off if the back of the car is too close to another behind me. There's no risk I'll back into it, the car is in Drive!

Shouldn't the rear assist work in reverse, and the front assist in Drive? They seem to be both on all the time which is rather anoying!

Thanks!

·
Registered
626 Posts
While one may think so, consider backing out or driving into a single car garage. My fenders loves simultaneous parking assist as does my DW.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suppose if you're turning while backing out of a single car garage, and your front is about to hit something, the front park assist would be helpful. Maybe they could only have have it active if you happen to be turning while in reverse, haha. If you're driving straight back, no need for front assist to be on, as the only thing you could hit would be behind you!

·
Registered
26 Posts
My understand is that ALL the sensors will active when you switch your gear to moving (no matter forward or backward). Yes, it makes no sense to warn you something is closer in front of you when you are backing. Unfortunately that is how they designed this. If you listen closely, you can tell that there is difference in audio between the warning from the front and back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
My understand is that ALL the sensors will active when you switch your gear to moving (no matter forward or backward). Yes, it makes no sense to warn you something is closer in front of you when you are backing. Unfortunately that is how they designed this. If you listen closely, you can tell that there is difference in audio between the warning from the front and back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
And the sound is coming from a different direction.

·
Registered
837 Posts
To be honest, I love the Volvo sensors. I have to turn on the Front sensors on my Volt and it is annoying!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
The front and rear sensors, when triggered, emit different sounds.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The front and rear sensors, when triggered, emit different sounds.
As everyone has mentioned...

As well, I found it helpful to adjust the volume of each to be slightly different as well, that way it provides a bit more differentiation. (Front sensors are set lower than back on mine)

·
Registered
701 Posts
I find the sensors useful at stop lights. I have been signaled when someone walks, bikes or otherwise comes close to the car. Helpful in busy city drives with lots of bikes around. Yes, adjust the volume for front and rear separately to help differentiate. The standing joke is the last thing I will hear before a major collision is a proximity sensor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts