SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so this post may certify me as a paranoid wacko, but should I worry about almost no oil consumption in my R?

I just had my fourth oil change (12,500 km intervals) since I got the car (with 174,000 kms on it) last July. Each time the dealer puts in enough Castrol Syntec 5W-30 to show about a half litre above the hash marks on the dipstick, and when it is time for the next change after another 12,000 kms plus of 'spirited' driving the old oil is STILL above the hash marks. I've been running IPD stage I tune (without the retard for the auto in 1st and 2nd) since last year, so there is no lack of cylinder pressure trying to push oil past the rings, etc. And now with 213,000 kms (about 125,000 miles) on the odometer the engine shouldn't be tight - it sure doesn't FEEL tight!

I know the R has the extra "danger-danger" oil level warning, and when I searched the forum all I could find were references to excessive consumption, so I find lack of any consumption a little anti-climactic. Perhaps if everything is running well and no bad codes are spewing out I should just go have a beer and relax...

P.S.: Does that faint whir I hear under the hood after parking it 'hot' (which is practically any time I drive it) mean that the Rs have some sort of secondary coolant or oil circulation to prevent oil coking in the turbo?

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
The whir is the fans cooling down your engine....or at least helping...it usually stays on for roughly 10-20 mins. Being so hot the past few days it may seem more prominent.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Lack of consumption is not something you should worry about. It's perfectly normal, as is losing roughly a quart (liter) between changes.

And Vio's right, that whir is an electric cooling fan that's programmed to continue for some time after you shut the engine off.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I would NOT recommend Castrol oil for your R. Go look up Amsoil it is THE best stuff on earth for engines. Plenty of comparisons to other oil makes (though Mobile 1's full synthetic comes very close for a cheaper price). Other than that I have nothing to say.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I would NOT recommend Castrol oil for your R. Go look up Amsoil it is THE best stuff on earth for engines. Plenty of comparisons to other oil makes (though Mobile 1's full synthetic comes very close for a cheaper price). Other than that I have nothing to say.
Why don't you recommend Castrol? I mean it says right on my oil cap Volvo Recommends Castrol.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
You're off your rocker.

Castrol Euro 0W-30. Mobile 1 ran like shyt and I can't comment on Amsoil...I've been told Royal is the best.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Each time the dealer puts in enough Castrol Syntec 5W-30 to show about a half litre above the hash marks on the dipstick, and when it is time for the next change after another 12,000 kms plus of 'spirited' driving the old oil is STILL above the hash marks.
How far above the hash marks does the oil show when you are ready for the next change?

Also, a half litre above the hash marks is not enough to really hurt the engine due to over filling, but I would keep mine right on the full line running stage 2+.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Hooray, another oil brand pee-pee contest. *grabbing popcorn and 128 oz diet coke (because I'm on a diet)*

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
You're off your rocker.

Castrol Euro 0W-30. Mobile 1 ran like shyt and I can't comment on Amsoil...I've been told Royal is the best.
Don't even try to tell me that you felt a performance difference in brands. If you did, it's in your mind or you're superhuman. I know which one is more likely :p

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I just run 10w30 year round. ****'em.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would not be worried if my R was not using any oil, in fact I would be happy!

Wallymart has the Castrol 5W-30 Edge Titanium on sale. I'm going to see how it does.

I spoke to a Subaru STI guy the other day and he said he switched to the Rotella T6 5w40 and it also stopped the consumption. On another note I switched the wife's 2005 Pacifica AWD w/ 75k miles to Amsoil Signature 10w30 and the oil consumption went way up. I was loosing a quart per 3800 miles or so. I changed the filter (a Pure One) every 5,000 miles for 3 changes. So I am due to drain it after 15,000 of using it. I have added about 4 quarts over the 15k. I was using Valvoline and Mobil 1 syn prior (which ever was on sale when I needed it) always with Pure One filters) and would only loose about 1/2 to 3/4 a quart per 5000 miles. I went to walmart yesterday and picked up some Mobil 1 10w40. Hope this will ease up on the consumption.

As far as my experience with Royal Purple.... first of all they have at least 2 real assholes working for them. Horrible customer relations/service. For me at least. Also I used their engine oil and gear oil in my Tacoma v6 manual trans 2wd and after about 3k miles the trans started shifting like crap and did not want to go into first without a fight. I did like the way the truck felt and ran after filling the engine, tranns and rear diff with the stuff. I changed the trans oil to some valvoline gear oil and the problem went away after about 500 miles of using the valvoline. I think that stuff was too slippery. Other than that and the bad customer service I got from them I liked their stuff.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Castrol Euro?? Up here our full Syn brand for Castrol is edge. Thinking of trying Royal but at 7.25 a quart...cant justify it for that margin....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts