SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ordered it for my new XC90. In my present XC70 2014, the roof window is being closed by a thick ceiling seal and the (wind) noise difference between opened an closed cover is quite substantial. I was surprised to see that in XC90 this is done by just very thin cloth. I wonder if this is not a problem when you want to close the panoramic window and have less noise in the car ? (while this cloth gives no noise insulation). What about a strong sun in the summer ? Do you feel some heat coming through the panoramic window ? (and the cloth)

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I ordered it for my new XC90. In my present XC70 2014, the roof window is being closed by a thick ceiling seal and the (wind) noise difference between opened an closed cover is quite substantial. I was surprised to see that in XC90 this is done by just very thin cloth. I wonder if this is not a problem when you want to close the panoramic window and have less noise in the car ? (while this cloth gives no noise insulation). What about a strong sun in the summer ? Do you feel some heat coming through the panoramic window ? (and the cloth)
I am not that sensitive to any wind noise coming from having the sunroof cover closed, in any of the Volvos I drive.

With regards to the XC90's moonroof cover being adequate to shield the sun, it does an excellent job.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here in Thailand, with strong sun through the year and 40 celsius in summer, I don't notice disturbing heat from glass roof (definitely with the cover on ;) ). Somebody hear they put the window tint over it. Compare to my friend's Mercedes the fabric in XC90 is much dense.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just wonder - if there is no panoramic window and just a regular roof, would the wind noise from the roof box be reasonably less ? I have the biggest Thule roof box (650 l) and when going fast on highway (140 km/h and faster), the wind noise is really extremely strong. If no panoramic window, would it be less ?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I just wonder - if there is no panoramic window and just a regular roof, would the wind noise from the roof box be reasonably less ? I have the biggest Thule roof box (650 l) and when going fast on highway (140 km/h and faster), the wind noise is really extremely strong. If no panoramic window, would it be less ?
Probably, but hard to predict.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I find that the thin fabric cover that comes with the car insulates the cold quite well.

Here where we live, we have weather swing between +5C to -20C the last month or so. I usually have the roof covered, and when the cover was open on a day where it was -15C outside, I can feel the "colder" air that was trapped above the cover go into the cabin, but the HVAC was quite fast in compensating for that.

As for road noise, we went on a road trip to the mountains with a Thule roof box (340L Thule Force) and compared with when my V60 with the roof box, I couldn't hear much of a difference at around 140kph. I didn't drive them back to back, but both cars are pretty well insulated and with the Thule aeroblade I have for both vehicles, it does cut down on a lot of the wind noise.

I don't know if that helps in any way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts