SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've had my R-Design for about a week and absolutely love it. I haven't seen some of the issues others have, so fingers crossed. As a new Volvo owner though, I am confused about the roof controls. The manual clearly says that Auto Open and Auto Close are possible by sliding the button back (for Open) and forward as far as it will go (Close). Well, the button slides back fine to Open, but it will not slide forward...at all...to close. I'm pressing it really hard...but nothing.

The only way I can close the roof or the roof shield is to manually do it by pulling down on the button.

Am I totally missing something here? Anyone else not able to Auto Close their roof??

Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't think the button really "slides", does it? It's more like a rocker switch---same as your other window switches.

Actually, I've encountered one XC90 that wouldn't one-touch close the shade. It later started working randomly :confused:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think the button really "slides", does it? It's more like a rocker switch---same as your other window switches.

Actually, I've encountered one XC90 that wouldn't one-touch close the shade. It later started working randomly :confused:
Yup, it doesn't slide forward...just rocks. But, the manual says it should slide forward to auto close. When I just rock it forward it does nothing. I have to rock it forward and hold it, and then it closes manually. Not sure if this is making sense. Just odd I can't auto close it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If others could try this out and see if they observe the same thing, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You have to press the button a little harder so that it can activate the auto close. That's how mine works.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
You have to press the button a little harder so that it can activate the auto close. That's how mine works.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
Yeah, without going out and trying, I think it is kind of like the door window buttons in that it gently clicks when pushed a bit harder to activate 'auto', right? I don't remember off hand but I know auto does work for my panoramic roof.

·
Registered
372 Posts
That is correct, it's like the auto window switches. You have to toggle it further until it kind of clicks and that activates the auto close/open. It does not slide, just push a little further towards you to open and towards the windshield to close. The first time you do it the sunscreen opens, second time you do it the sunroof opens.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. Thanks. Will try again. It just feels like I'm pushing it towards the windshield so hard that it is going to snap.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Okay, I went out to an XC90 and fiddled with it for a while. Here is what I can report:

First of all, the button itself: in both directions, if you push it a bit, you hit a detent, and then you can push it a little further.

Second, the functionality. It almost seems like the detents do nothing! You would think that pushing it to the detent would be manual slide, and then pushing past would enable "auto", like the window switches. Nope! The manual vs auto functionality seems to be determined by how fast you push the button, as opposed to how far you push the button.

So, try this: quickly push the button all the way (past the first detent, until it stops). You should NOT have to apply any excessive force! There's no secret "if you push it further something happens" mode. But if you slowly push the button, it's in manual mode. If you quickly press it, it should slide all the way, automatically.

I tried it many, many times and confirmed my theory. My only hope is that I was able to explain it correctly. If you still can't figure it out, go down to your dealer and ask someone to show you. Chances are at least one person there can figure it out :beer:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I got it now. Opening it requires a sliding of the button...but auto close requires a quick pull forward of the button. It worked last night. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Maybe this has been addressed somewhere else, but my sunroof opens and stops about 2 inches from opening all the way. I have to pull the button back again to open it the remaining 2 inches. Happens on both auto open and manual opening.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Maybe this has been addressed somewhere else, but my sunroof opens and stops about 2 inches from opening all the way. I have to pull the button back again to open it the remaining 2 inches. Happens on both auto open and manual opening.
That is how mine operates as well, I believe that is normal.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Looks like normal is confirmed bhilmer, lol.

·
Registered
463 Posts
It's the same on my VW Golf wagon. I think it has to do with minimizing wind buffeting at higher speeds. If you open it all the way the noise/buffet is more pronounced.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts