SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a dumb question about the key on my 2016 XC90. How do you pair the key with the seat memory. This is my first Volvo and from what I have read online on older models, the seat memory used when the car is turned on is saved to the key. Does that still hold true for the now XC90s. I came from an Infiniti FX35 where I had to pair my key to the seat memory so that regardless of who turns on the car and with whatever key and seat position, the next time I unlock my car, the seats, steering wheel, and mirrors would return to the preset position linked to my key.

Lastly, I found an 2016 XC90 manual that mentioned a driver profile and that you can link the key to that profile. However, when I go to my settings, I can't find a driver profile anywhere. The closest thing I found was the individual driver mode. This can't be paired to the key, but rather you have to use the drive mode selection to select this mode.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
As mentioned in your title that is accomplished through drivers profiles. They still haven't added this function to the vehicle; it has been MUCH requested by owners on here since the vehicles release. Word is we still may see it down the road in another update, fingers crossed.

Oh, and FYI, this is different from the individual setting you mentioned. I came from a qx60 that had seat and radio memory tied to incidivdual key fobs and sure hope we see it soon in our xc90s, along with easy ingress/egress also mentioned in the manual but missing from the vehicle upon release.

·
Registered
478 Posts
This hasn't found its way into the software yet, unfortunately. It's still coming "soon."

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hopefully after everything else is fixed, which list probably is as long as a 12 year old's Christmas list at this point!
I imagine that there are different people working on different aspects of the software. It's a pretty complicated system. For example, the instrument cluster is running BSD Unix, and Sensus is running Linux. I imagine that there are other sections of the car that are running some type of real-time OS (for adaptive cruise control, IntelliSafe, etc.). Getting this all to play nicely together is quite a task. I think that Volvo is doing a fairly reasonable job, so far, despite the teething pains. Of course, I don't have my XC90 yet, so I'm spared the day-to-day aggravation.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I imagine that there are different people working on different aspects of the software. It's a pretty complicated system. For example, the instrument cluster is running BSD Unix, and Sensus is running Linux. I imagine that there are other sections of the car that are running some type of real-time OS (for adaptive cruise control, IntelliSafe, etc.). Getting this all to play nicely together is quite a task. I think that Volvo is doing a fairly reasonable job, so far, despite the teething pains. Of course, I don't have my XC90 yet, so I'm spared the day-to-day aggravation.
Yes, we in the trenches feel the pain a bit more. As the OP noted, I find it frustrating that the manual explains a feature that doesn't yet exisit...it makes no mention of 'future feature' or 'coming soon'. btw, your mention is the first time i've heard what OS they are using...interesting mix for sure!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I sussed it out from the copyright notices in the manual; not that I've been reading the manual obsessively while waiting for my car to be made or anything:)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Someone posted on another topic that the latest update to the manual online (that includes CarPlay) no longer mentions the Driver's Profile. I have not checked this out myself, so just the messenger.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Current plan is that Driver profile will launch with the 2017 model XC90 (and S90) with production start in May 2016. It should be available for 2016 XC90s sometime soon after that.

·
Registered
777 Posts
It should be available for 2016 XC90s sometime soon after May 2016. It would happen via a SW update at your local Volvo dealer. As the earliest delivered XC90s will be coming in for their first annual service at that time, it should happen automatically during the maintenance service, once it is available.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for all the info about the driver profile. The manual that the dealer game me doesn't mention driver profiles. I just happened to come across a manual I found online.

As for the seat memory and the key, is it true that the key will remember the last setting when the key was used? I hope that it at least does that, I can wait for future updates that paradox mention, but I kind of find it annoying that the car of this caliber doesn't have a key that remembers the settings. It is a minor thing, because all I have to do is press the memory button.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Thank you all for all the info about the driver profile. The manual that the dealer game me doesn't mention driver profiles. I just happened to come across a manual I found online.

As for the seat memory and the key, is it true that the key will remember the last setting when the key was used? I hope that it at least does that, I can wait for future updates that paradox mention, but I kind of find it annoying that the car of this caliber doesn't have a key that remembers the settings. It is a minor thing, because all I have to do is press the memory button.
If what you describe about the key is true, that's news to me and not how my car functions. My key has absolutely no association with any car settings at all. If the last person to drive the car used memory position 2 or custom seat positions, that's what I encounter when I get into the car with my key until I manually hit (and hold) the Memory 1 button. This is why many of us were pretty frustrated by the lack of the Driver's Profile functionality -- without it this new high-tech car actually has less customization to individual drivers than just about every car on the market in the last 15 years or so. Even entry-level sedans often have keys tied to memory functions now.

The physical manual that comes with the car is more like a detailed quick start guide -- it's never been the comprehensive user manual which is only available either through Volvo apps, online or as a PDF download. There are a lot of versions of the download floating around though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My V70 MY2012 did have the functionality to remember the last person to use the key (hugely annoying overtime my wife used my key instead of her own). So possibly this is the way it works for the XC90 (expecting mine in 6 weeks so cannot test myself)

·
Registered
673 Posts
I switch off keys with my wife regularly. It definitely does NOT have any effect on seat memory. Every time I get in the vehicle after my wife has been driving, I must press the seat memory button, regardless of which key is used.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Same experiences as citivas and gweempose here. My dad and I will often use each others vehicles and whenever I get in my XC90 after he has used it, I must press my memory seat button to get the seat, mirrors etc back to my settings.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all for sharing your experience, I really hope Volvo adds the pairing functionality and the driver profile.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Wah wah wah, memory tied keys, pressing one button is too hard. In my day the seat position was fixed. You want to adjust them, you brought cushions. And as for the mirrors. They were fixed too. The car arrived with three mirror sets: man, woman, mother-in-law. Want to change position? You unscrew one and jam in another set.

M

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Wah wah wah, memory tied keys, pressing one button is too hard. In my day the seat position was fixed. You want to adjust them, you brought cushions. And as for the mirrors. They were fixed too. The car arrived with three mirror sets: man, woman, mother-in-law. Want to change position? You unscrew one and jam in another set.

M

AND you had to walk 3 miles UPHILL to your car in the snow!

·
Registered
28 Posts

M

It is not about being a cry baby, I paid for the car expecting certain things and if they are not delivered then it is disappointing and does not set a good reputation for the manufacturer. I am not sure why you are trivializing this or turning this into something negative that customers are doing, it is the manufacturers fault. They promised me something for the money I paid and it is not delivered as promised simple as that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts